zookeeper

Aug 16, 2004
I just bought an '02 CRF450 from a friend. The bike was well maintained and is mostly stock with the exception of suspension. My concern is the bike's ability to pass a sound check. It's got the stock pipe/muffler but it's a tad loud. Is the stock silencer repackable? If so, which end do I drill the rivets out of, front or rear? I don't have the bucks right now for an FMF Q, but I need to pass a sound check of (I believe) 96db to ride in the location I really like. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
The stock muffler does not have a spark arrestor on it so you wont be able to ride on any USFS lands,I recommend just save your money and buy a FMF Q since thats what you want anyway, in my opion the stock muffler aint worth much more than a boat anchor so dont drill and screw up what allready works

Good Luck

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
The stocker is not going to pass a 96 Db test even w/ new packing.

There are a few companies selling replacement end-caps w/ optional inserts that should get you in the 96 Db range. Try Pro Moto Billet, has a sparky and should pass the sound test.

Link to PMB quiet insert

I think the FMF Q is woefully under-engineered and overpriced, but that is just my own experience/opinion. I've not sound tested one on a CRF so I'm not sure if it will make a 96 Db test but for that kind of $$ it ought to...

Hope this helps.

B

biglou

I agree with the quiet insert as the least expensive option. A fresh repack wouldn't hurt, either. Get yourself a nice rivet gun for a few bucks, and the correct size rivets. Take the back half of the pipe off and drill out both ends of the can. Pack the perforated inner core as tightly as you can with fresh packing, and wrap it near each end and in the middle with 3/4" masking tape. Then slide the can over the packing. Go with as much as you can possibly wrap and stuff into the can. Then install your end cap, quiet or otherwise. Like Hick says, the stocker won't pass even with fresh packing, but the combo of that and a quiet insert will make a big difference. A fresh repack on a stock system tends to take the sharp "rap" out of the exhaust note.

Top Bottom