Crusty 7 (and FMX idiots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
 CR, you just don't get it and it is possible you never will see the point being made.  This issue is not about Tyler Evans clothes or someone flipping the bird at a camera.  The point is perception!  You and I, as individuals, problably don't really care about the conduct of a few noteable riders, however, we all should take careful consideration in what John Q. Public thinks of our sport.   Rights and privileges are two distinctly different things.  These yahoos have the right to produce garbage videos, Riding motorcycles on the otherhand is a PRIVILEGE.  Privileges are easily taken away when bureaucrats decide to do so and giving them a bad example (Crusty 8) as ammunition is something everyone should take note of.

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Well said SWIFT,

Your local groups won't see these video's because it doesn't intrest them. What does is the riders in the area that concerns them. Those are the riders that consistantly ride the same areas and either abide by the rules or break them.

I always fall back on the rule that my folks taught me...."You are representing our name." Meaning everything I did was a reflection on them. I really didn't understand that untill I grew up and realized that whatever action I did had an equal reaction. When I leared this lesson I was about 14 years of age and found that hunting or riding on anothers property opened up exponentialy. Represent yourself well, respect anothers property and always show your appriciation in some way(wheather it is a word of thanks, a card or in certain situations a bottle of booze) you will be always asked back.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you represent yourself in a way that is above speculation there is no way that any group is going to be able to find fault.

The bozo's that make these video's subscribe to a certain audiance, a small one or else they would be on the top lists at your local Block Buster. I can only thank the big guy above that there is such a small audiance(READ idiots that like destruction and anarchy) or else we would be in some real trouble. Most of us are not the mindless boneheads that worship this kind of media and respect the rules and concerns of others. I for one wished that Fleashwound and Crusty never came to be but how else to feed the idiots want for carnage? Let them have it, it will find it's niche, but riders who care for the land, noise and for the sport will eventually win(I hope and pray).

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
CR - Brian said it best. It is all about privileges and perceptions, not about rights. There are way to many people in this world ready to pass judgement on any of the many things in this world that entertain and/or irritate them. These folks live and breathe the pablum fed to them daily by the press and the government. Many of these same folks, you will someday encounter while standing in front of some review board.

I sincerely do not care if every single person riding freestyle kills themselves trying to learn the "easy" way how to do a backflip. That being said, the backlash will begin once the first one does manage to kill himself. That backlash will be swift and the outcome will likely not be pretty. Aaron, you are too young perhaps to remember the debacle surrounding the three wheel ATV. Let me assure you that it was the attorneys that benefitted most from the stability issues surrounding that ATV. The perception was that they were dangerous vehicles.

I personally have never seen a car, motorcycle, ATV or gun kill someone, but I have seen or heard about many people killed using them. There is a belief (at least in the United States) that the government can legislate safety and thereby save us from our own stupidity. This has spawned a cottage industry of liberal trial lawyers that run around convincing folks that they can benefit from their stupidity. The perception is that "big business" should know how to compensate for the stupidity of the operator.  Personal water craft will likely be hit broadside with this perception in the next year or two.

Regarding Tyler Evans and those like him who decorate their bodies, again it is about perception. For every Tyler, there are a hundred or more that think that all they have to do is get a few tattoos and they will be as good as Tyler. These folks are call posers in my book. There are way too many young people today that don’t understand the difference in perception between posing and performing.

Perceptions are all that really matters in this world. Many people go to work everyday believing still that if they do a good job success will come their way. Meanwhile, those that understand that perception is the key, scrub their persona and become the perception of success in their individual field of interest. That is why A students work for B students at companies owned by C students.

Aaron, as motorcyclists, we have been battling perception ever since the day that the first motorcyclist spooked a horse sometime in the late 19th century. We were "good for nothin’s" in the 20's and 30's, "Hells Angels" in the 50's and 60's and "rocket jockeys" in the 90's and today. I once rolled down my window and cussed out a fellow on a Harley with open pipes because of the perception that he was leaving with the general public about motorcyclists.

Please remember that perception is the key when you join the magazine you are going to work for. Don’t drape a half naked girl across a bike on the cover in order to increase sales. Think about the negative impression that you leave with the 98% of the people that don’t buy the magazine.

We can police ourselves as a sport or allow the government to step in based upon the perception of the general public that we are dangerous and must be saved from our own stupidity.

Hucker - Regarding Fox and all the trash like them.  People love to see others make an ass of themselves, they just don't like to see people killed doing it.  Again, perception ... The perception is that if someone out there is as stupid as they are portrayed, then "my" life can't be that bad.

Tony

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
That's the thing, my Canuckleheaded friend: it's right vs. priviledge. They may have a right to act like a bunch of troglodytes (how's that for a $3 word!), but the more they do, the more chance they have of losing the priviledge to ride where they wish, and that affects all of our priviledge to ride where we wish.

I'm not anti-FMX, or even anti-ATV, I'm only anti-Idiot. And there's a lot of people in both the FMX and ATV world that ain't helpin' us much.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
:think: Right just another arrogant yankee.

Dime a dozen......

Anyways, I see the point. Perception, whoopee-doo. When are you guys going to learn people make their OWN perceptions based on whatever they want. I UNDERSTAND crusty 8 doesn't help, but there are 1000 other things that DON'T help. If crusty was elminated there would just be another thing to bitch about. It never ends, like I said ill deal with what I can change, if some idiot is at MY riding club doing stupid crap like that we will throw him out, now if some guy in austria wants to look like an idiot LET HIM, YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT.

Now I give up.

PS. Tony, our magazine is about quality, not nekkid chicks.

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
CR, you just don't get it and it is possible you never will see the point being made

Sorry swifty, I forgot about this vast amount of knowledge you have that I will never be able to gain myself.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Perception is the key word to this entire argument. Let the Rights and Freedoms stay off to the side for a minute. I have ridden a dirt bike since 1972 and raced since 1977. Several months ago a friend and his wife asked me a question that really made me think twice about this issue. These friends I have known since school and they both know that I am still involved with dirt bikes. They showed a fox hat to me they took away from their son because they thought it was gang related. They asked me what I thought. I told them that fox is clothing manufacturer for dirt bike related gear. They have since given the hat back to their son. Where did they get this idea about the fox logo?? Perception of the general public is the key to keeping our riding areas open. Plain and simple. The non-riding population of these United States of America is many times greater then us, and as such we need to have them on our side. Why give those who are against us ammunition to aid their cause ?? I think everyone, young or old, who enjoys our freedom to ride a dirt bike should really stop and think over this word PERCEPTION.

Mully

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I don't see what gang banger wannabe's wearing Fox clothes has anything to do with FMX.

Where I do see your point is some idiot watches a fox movie and gets his friends to all buy fox gear and act tough.

Guys, kids will do this with anything. ANY clothes, some local gang here used to wear JT paintball gear at night, I guess we better ban paintball magazines.

One thing you guys will NEVER understand is growing up in this age, I do so don't try and tell me I don't see what my fellow age group of people are doing :think:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
And there's a lot of people in both the FMX and ATV world that ain't helpin' us much.

And there isn't a lot of guys helping us in the MX world either. You guys are all talking about perception and you are proving your points very well.

So you see some kid ripping wheelies down a street with black plastic, so you think FMX idiot? BS, he isn't a FMX idiot, chances are he cant do a trick to save his life. So basically he is a MX idiot, so now what? You say FMX influenced him? :|

That's your perception that any one with tats or anyone in a Crusty movie is an FMX idiot.

How many REAL fmx riders can you name doing stupid crap in Crusty? I can gurantee you won't see , Bartram, McElroy, Metz, Pastrana, Hart etc.......doing any of that stuff.

I see the point real clear boys....... :|

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
I don't see what gang banger wannabe's wearing Fox clothes has anything to do with FMX.

Let me do the math. Fox Gear = Dirt Bikes = ME = The perception of what people see with the NON riding antics of those protrayed in videos.

Let us even go back farther. What do you think the movie "The Wild Ones" with Marlon Brando did for the honest street bikers of the late fifties early sixties ??

Mully

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well let me put it this way, Most FMX'ers have completly abolished FOX clothing. The mulisha love the boots but they put tape over the fox head.

Fox is known as the ultimate poser wear and no one who's anyone wears FOX in FMX anymore.

So now who do we want to place blame on?

Last edited:

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Fox or whatever. The NON-riding antics is what sticks in the general publics mind when it comes to dirt bikes.

Mully

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
So then the whole point of this is the non-riding antics? The guys who do the crap off the bikes in these movies that is stiring things up?

Well those arn't the FMX riders (im sure there is a handful that are), but like I said the point is being proven that you guys toss these REAL fmx riders in with their IDIOT friends who do crap to get in the movies.

I now understand how easily the public can be swayed if even you guys can who actually ride don't know the difference between a FMX rider and just a goof off kid in a video :|

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Very true, the non riding idiots that are in the film, those are the ones to blame. So can joe public tell the difference??

Mully

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I wish I could further debate this issue with you, but at this time I must get to bed. Work comes early.

Mully

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
No mully I guess they cant. Half the people on this board can't even though they pretend they can.

I understand that is a problem. The thing is Crusty has always been known for doing this kinda stuff, even in the first and second one boys ;)

I CAN actually read and what I see from the start of this was an attack on FMX riders. We need to can the idiots is what we need to do.

And I admit if some old fart did ever bring up Crusty8 to a town meeting no one would know the diff. Will some old disgruntled guy ever bring this up to a town meeting? I don't know, but hopefully a rider is there to assure them that those people don't ride. I can easily admit those guys do no one anygood, but people like to see it and people are buying it right? I know my local shop can't keep crusty 8 on the shelves. Im not to sure where im going with this LOL, but im just saying. The one thing you can do is just get all your riding buddies to abolish it. If you don't buy them, they won't sell them.

In the meantime go watch Chapter 2, no stupid stunts. Just good clean riding and guys telling their stories. A GREAT FMX movie

B

biglou

Two things I want to add to this little discussion:

1) About perception-My mom does not know the difference between my mountain bike and my motorcycles and couldn't tell you the difference if she was standing in the garage with both of them side by side. I'm crappin' ya negative on that, too.

2) CR-You state that it never ends. You are correct there. The fight never ends.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
CR, it appears that you don't understand the points being made... you are apparently way over your head at this point. I'd suggest you get a few more years behind you (as well as some real-world experience no, I'm not talking about the show on MTV), then come back and re-read this thread. In the meantime, the more you post on the subject, the deeper the hole you dig.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Typical american attitude Okie. I understand fully. Until you have been in my shoes don't tell me I don't understand. You want to change something you can't. I guess ill just keep digging.

Has anyone seen the Offspring movie? There are guys doing stupid crap on dirtbikes as well, there is so much stuff going on you guys don't even know about. Crusty will never be in blockbuster.....time to lay off that one.

Anyways, Lou brings up a good point. My grandma got me a subscription to mountain bike because she thought it was the same thing as a dirtbike since it was a bike that rode in dirt.

Perceptions can be twisted and shaped into whatever someone wants to. You can't change that ever :|

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Here is an idea...

I see lots of words flyin' around here on this thread, but how many of you have written a letter to Fleshwound expressing concern over their perpetuation of negative stereotypes? I did. Did you? For those interested:

Fleshwound Films, LLC
30375 Morning View Drive
Malibu, California 90265
310/457-5868 Phone
310/457-4768 Fax
info@fleshwoundfilms.com

I am thinking of a few more folks to write as well like the sponsors of the videos. Powerade, Alpinestars, etc.

Anyone else care to voice their concern??? It is a start....

Image is everything and maybe if these bozos learn that WE do not want the image they are selling, they might change directions. One can hope, but hope without action is merely just passing the time away.

-jeffd

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
See even though I partially disagree, I DO agree that Jeff is the only one here that is willing to stand up.

All I see is bunch of guys bickering on a forum that will do nothing because unfortunately Jon, Cami, Dana none of them go on this forum.

A formal letter may help, but it will take a few :cool: Good luck Jeff :thumb: (not sarcastic by the way LOL!)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I fired them off a message, thanks for the Link Jeff..

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
REAL" FMX riders..........oxymoron number 112?

Wow didn't see that one coming.

Too bad half of them have more skill on a bike than you ever had ;)

PS. Don't be mad because they are making a living doing what they love. Pick up a copy of MXmachine mag and check out the section called "flossin".

The jealousy seeps through, sad wardy.......

PPS. Don't worry, I hate them too for getting paid to do what I pay for everyweekend. Plus the nice cars, houses, respect from fans, etc........ :silly:

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The hole is a mile deep now! Can you breathe down there?

American attitude? You completely lost me there. Just make sure to use a capital "A" next time you type American.

Last I heard, wardy is making a living doing what he loves (he owns a riding area/track). He's also got 8 D-17 Number One (MX) plates that pretty much says he's not hurting for talent. By the way, I've got some tape (NBC broadcast of FMX a couple of weeks ago) of Bartram making fun of most the FMX'ers because they "can't turn or stop". But that's really isn't the issue here, you missed the point a long time ago.

The last comment is just plain silly... do you really believe anyone in this thread dislikes Freestyler's because they are making a living? Please man, give up on it now, your arguments are getting weaker by the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom