Cylinder head bolt problems, HELP!

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Well, I toasted my top end today and decided tonight would be a perfect time to tear it down and get it ready. Everything was going great, drained all the fluids, got the head off, looked at the piston, blah blah blah. I get 3 of the 4 cylinder nuts off and go, "Hrm, there should be 4" So i open up the Clymer and lo and behold the 4th nut is inside the powervalve assembly. I think, no big deal, take the side powervalve cover off, grab the rachet and we'll be back in business. Well the cover came off fine, but there's absolutely not room for a rachet in there. So I grab my trusty 14mm wrench and give it a try, no go, I'm just stripping the crap out of the nut. How the hell am I supposed to get this thing off? Does Suzuki have some special ultra wrench? If I could get a wrench with the same design as the rachet bits, it would work. But like any wrench, its kinda got the 8 sided thing going on. Its just strips the bolt. I even tried the open ended side, same thing, can't get enough grip and it just eats the nut.

Anyone got any hints to getting this thing off? I don't care if I have to destroy it, they are readibly available... The Cylmer doesn't say anything about a special Suzuki wrench for this thing either....

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
is it only the ratchet head to big to fit in? try a breaker bar since they are slimmer or a saltus<?> wrench , funny looking wrench , regular open end on one side with a socket on the other. if the nut is getting that buggered up I would definately try a breaker bar with a 6 point socket on it , lightly tap the socket down onto the nut if you need to.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Sometimes you have to use a 6 point box and grind the sides slightly. You might try good ?sharp new vise grips or as a last resort a chisel . Go slow and be careful .Good Luck

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Huck: my 2 RMXes have the same configuration. Here's how I get that nut off: box end wrench, on firmly, then a quick karate chop to the wrench and it's loose. The key is a firm, quick and positive force, not one that builds up. I've used this method on other bikes, bolts, nuts, even phillips heads, all with the same success, although I had stripped my fair share before learning this method.

Kornholio

Jul 11, 2001
Try and get the one piece 1995 powervalves, you'l probabvly need the complete assembly. These were a better design, much stronger because of the one piece design. :cool:

Top Bottom