Dear Tim Olson,

MDA

May 27, 2002
I've bought a few copies of REV. Its not too bad. I really liked their first issue since it had a KDX on the front cover (does not happen very often in a trade publication).

The last copy I bought had pretty much exclusive 4 stroke coverage in it. They have some nice features about off-road vacations in far away/exotic locals and stuff. No motocross stuff, which to some of us is refreshing.

I did have some gripes about some of the articles in the last issue I bought. They had this article entitled "So your kids want to race" or something. I thought the article would properly cover topics like safety, coaching, sanctioning bodies and such. Instead the article was basically a biography of the two best mini riders in the US. The article missed the point entirely. Most kids that want to race will only do it locally unless they are gifted. I would have prefered to have seen the article focus on how/what is required for a an average kid to get into racing, have fun and do it safely.

I got a bit turned off the mag. after I read that article. It was fluff and off topic for an off road mag.

-Mark-

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yup you guessed it, MXA right next to the Victoria's Secret catalog...

Nah, I actually keep it in a neat pile next to the American Journal of Defecation...

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
TTT - DEFINITLY

I don't read MXA since I thought (no offence) it sucked in the late 80's. I still have my sub to Dirt Bike and I'm wondering why I renewed last fall.

Simply put, I don't see it getting any better. I could care less about 50's, especally $10.000+ 50's! Mr. Know-it-all should be put to bed already. Do they have the same staffer writing the column for Dirt Bike and then the spin-off to the ATV mags? It is horrible. I was recently refreshed to Vic Krause when I visited the Sindwinder website and read through the FAQ's.

Am I getting too old? Did I fall out of the Hi-Torque demographic? I believe Rick said in his book that he was critized by the publisher that their mags were to only provide entertainment, nothing more. I believe that now.

What sucks is that I tried Trail Rider and didn't renew after the 2nd year because I was tired of only getting one or two bike reviews an issue even though the editorial columns were excellent. Thing is, one bike test didn't count since it was always a KTM. Then you have DB, which has plenty of reviews but they lack the detail and substance Trail Rider put into them. Why can't they do it like they did in the early 80's?

Racer X isn't for me, I don't care to read who the hot new rider is or about the race circuit. Is it really that difficult to produec a mag similar to Cycle World (which I really like) for the dirt crowd?

Anyhow, don't let the thread die!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
DMXS makes fun of Jody Weisel about every 3rd episode. The last show (7/16)...they were imitating his voice imploring all racers to remember to always change their sprockets when they change their chains. :laugh:

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Vintage----Fun letter. But you know, and this is ironic, you're writing style is a lot like MXA's. Don't be surprised if you get a letter back asking you to join the staff! :laugh:

TTR Dave

Jun 5, 2000
Do any of you guys get tired of hearing how Travis, Jeremy, etc... just shows up at his little darlings school every year for show and tell!! Who cares.. It's nice he has the contacts but it gets old fast. I feel better now.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by geremacheks
...you're writing style is a lot like MXA's.
Nuh uhh s not niether i lurnt two rite gud frum durt bik maginsine wen suppr honke wuz their boss if i rites lik mxa thn it cuz they rite lik suppr honke two so their :confused:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I don't understand. I love mXA. It's one of the few things that I have listed on my budget under the 'credit' column. I figure every time I walk on by the newstand and see it sitting there but walk on by... it's a credit and I save the $$ for something useful like DRN or GAS or TIRES or DW or yeah well ok so I send Bratt a few dollars here and there for the phone sex but you get the idea.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Well......I don't mind being different about MXA ;)

I thought the long article and pics recently on Glen Helen was a super job.

I also think those young part time college writers do a good job.

And for a fumbling mechanic like myself, I cut out all their wrenching pieces and file them for future reference. They do help, and they seem to have more of them than other dirt mags.

But I'm not an MXer. So I subscribe on and off. I'd be more interested if they covered all the off road bikes.

And as a side note: I'm sure getting sick of all the pages on hopped up XR 50's........ :aj:

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
TTR Dave,
I agree.it is a tiresome drag.Screw all this crap about the 50's.too,for Gods sake.
The political correctness sucks,too,ie.,refering to riders as "he or she".How about pronouns,you blithering drones.
Oh,and every page saying "we run","they run","you should run",ad nauseum.
Doug

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I thought the long article and pics recently on Glen Helen was a super job.
That's the only National that you'll get such comprehensive coverage from MXA, because Weisel designs the track. :silly:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator

That's the only National that you'll get such comprehensive coverage from MXA, because Weisel designs the track. :silly:

It's all about Jody. :scream:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Ive seen that Glen Helen story at least 20 times over the years. Glen Helen is a great track run by some really nice people but it is not the ONLY MX track in the &^%*ing world. Well maybe it is if you are MXA....do they ever put anything new in that mag or is the same redundant crap month after month, year after year?

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
CR Swade---quote: "....the ramblings of men..." (or children)....

I think you're right here. Those MXA editors put priority on stirring up there readers. Then they get lots of letters to the editors. The mag becomes lively. And then the boss gives them a raise. And the ad buyers keep ringing the phones.

Their comments about racers are just their opinions. Nothing more. And they hope they stir you up. The racers probably ignore them--if they're smart. No different than all the opinions on these boards. Sometimes we let them stir us up, sometimes not.

Wait a minute. This all sounds too logical. Jody's a Turd! Tim's a devil worshiper. High Torque is communist. Send the Stealth, the f-15 bombers, and the Apache helicopters.....

On another note: What does everybody think of Jimmy Lewis at Cycle World? Fast riding journalist. Good writer. Well done bike tests. Well, at least that's my opinion.....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by motomike137
Blah, Blah, Snivel, MXA #@$%, Blah, Blah, Blah. But yet you keep opening the pages don't you!

NOPE :silly:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I'd pay big $$$$ for a dirtrider.net magazine supplement, with @ least the tech articles written by Rich and Gorr, and some humor and flame columns written at least by Rich (where you could write a couple pages on why you wouldn't even buy a sparkplug from Vic Krause).

I don't have a laptop for the john.

Maybe it could start out as a newsletter format like RacerX did, and you could get RacerX's publisher to help. A pipe dream, and possibly a stupid ass comment, but nonetheless, it's what I want.

FWIW, Rich--I think you should blend fuel in mass quantities and sell it to the public. I'd be first in line. :)

mconnell

Dec 1, 2002
Actually, I think MXA started on its downhill spiral in the 80's when they hired that dork Lance Morewood or Morehead (whatever!). It seemed at that time, they began to put more emphasis on how a bike or rider looked rather than how they performed. That's when I quit reading MXA.

I've read DB since the early 70's, but there's been some years that I wished I hadn't! I can relate to Webb, though, since we're about the same age and share the same passion for bikes (especially orange ones).

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'd pay big $$$$ for a dirtrider.net magazine supplement, with @ least the tech articles written by Rich and Gorr,

Eric did just that a few years ago with a short lived magazine called MotoTech. He took NO ADVERTISING so he could say what he thought needed to be said. Eric tapped a bunch of his buddies from the motorcycle industry so he was covering a wide range of topics. It was fun while it lasted but it quickly became obvious that the internet was the future.

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL! i wouldnt mind paying a small susbscription fee to pay for a new internet connecetion fee for Eric, seems like we havent heard from him for ages!

I really used to like reading Erics articles in Dirtbikerider about 10-15 years ago back when i assumed he lived in the UK. they were great.

i would love to see some of these cool articles in thcurrent mags, but they would serve no purpose- many of the kids these days are just not interested, the otherday some kid was putting a real stink up that his bike did not come jetted perfectly when he bought it from Chapparall. another older guy then told me that despite his cr250 his blowing oil the pipe he is so happy with the way it runs and he saves money by not having to buy too much premix! lots of people want things handed to them on a plate, they have no inclination to learn or figure things out for themselves- mags like MXA serve that purpose, they tell people what to ride, what jetting and suspension specs to run and a lot of the time how people should think- they are still in business so it seems like they have hit the winning formula.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom