Dented header? When is it a problem?

Arock

Sep 20, 2005
I'm new to riding and I have a question.
I was riding this week and I laid my crf450x on its side at about 20 mph. The only real damage was a dent in the stock head pipe (about the size of half a golf ball. My question is, how much will this affect the performance of the bike(I wanted to enter a race in a month novice class) I was wondering if this is a issue I need to address before racing, or if getting new tires would be better use of my money? Again I am only racing at the novice level, Im not a super skilled rider but I still don't know how much this could effect the engine and I dont want to screw anything up on my bike.

1991rm125

Jan 27, 2006
if you are going to be racing you should get a new pipe. i really will not harm the bike i just makes the flow of exhaust a little rough. but if you cant get a new pipe you will be fine.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
That sounds like a pretty substantial dent, particularly considering the relatively small diameter of a 4 stroke exhaust. I would say you should get it pulled out, or replace the head pipe. It is unlikely to harm your bike, but will hold it back due to the restriction. A new tire might help your traction, but if you don't have the power to take advantage of it because of a smashed head pipe, it won't be much use.

Top Bottom