"Design and simulation of Two-stroke engines" book

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
I am thinking about buying "Design and simulation of Two-stroke engines" by G.P. Blair. Has anyone got this book and what do you think about it? I already have "Two-stroke performance tuning" by Bell and I think it is great, but I have read it so much I almost know it by heart... so I want something new with some more info on the subject. Is this the book to buy or should I look for something else? Currently i mostly tune mopeds and some old 125cc bikes, but that will probably change as soon as I get my drivers licence...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
With careful study Dr. Blair's book can serve as a college course in two-stroke engine design. It's worth spending the money to get the companion software as well.

The combination is the best money you can spend to learn the in and outs of two-strokes.

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
Unfortunately that book is quite hard to get around here. I went to the local bookstore, but they cant get it at all. I will go to the library tomorrow to get that book. They won't have it at home, but there are three books in the country at least. I've got to ask them where these books were bought...
Anyway, it seems like a great book from what i've read about it. Any other book ideas? Learning is always funny... (If you want to do it.)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
It can also give you a headache. There is no doubting Blair’s knowledge on the subject, but you may find it lacking practical application. Suggest you look up TSRs software/info which is an attempt to provide a lot of the same info in a digestible fashion + I suspect serve you more in your quest for step-thru supremacy. A noble assignment if ever there wasn’t one.

www.tsrsoftware.com

jury vjr

Jan 20, 2001
I also have the book from Graham bell and I think its good for to learn the basics off two-stroke tuning just like the book from John Robinson,but if you wanne go further than just the basics,than the book from G. Blair is a must have.I hope that you are good in matthematics because there are very much formulas in that book.succes;)

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
There is a book from the 2-stroke Doc that preceeded the simulation book. Its called The Basic Design of Two-Stroke Engines and is sold alone or with a set of 27 programs set-up for DOS. Thats the best book to start with because it uses a continual theme of a 125cc GP roadracer as the prime example. All of Dr. Blair's books are available from the SAE and you can order online at their Bookstore www.sae.org
Even if it takes you a year to read and understand it, Dr. Blair's books are worth buying if only to pay homage to him and his team of researchers that have made so many valuable contributions to the state of the art in motorcycle engine design.

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
I went to the library today so they'll hopefully have it here soon. When I've read it i will know if I want to spend that much money to have it myself,
or if i dont understand the maths at all. If it is too difficult for me it would be quite useless, and english is not my language... If i like it i probably will borrow "the basic design..." too, the problem is that there only is one of these in the country, so I may have to wait a while before I get it. But, it seems it is worth waiting for. Anyway, the newer book is on its way now, so I'll start with that.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom