Difference between KTM 200sx and a KTM 200xc?

Agent 007

Dec 30, 2008
I am curious of the difference between the KTM 200sx and the KTM 200xc. As far as I am aware, I thought the 200sx was previously KTM's motocross bike and that the 200xc is now KTM's off-road/enduro bike. Is this correct? Please help.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
I could be wrong, but at first glance it looks as though the EXC is aimed more towards trail riding. Curious though why the SX is almost 20lbs lighter?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
probably a battery? I don't know. 2-strokes are such an ancient technology of a bygone era I have chosen to quit paying attention to them.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm not sure why you are asking what the differences are, since that comparison shows what the differences are.

I believe the XC has a lighting coil, it does have a larger tank, slightly heavier tires, an 18 inch rear wheel, and the shock doesn't have the high- and low-speed compression adjustment like the SX version.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i figured you were were talking about the exc which are now the xc. the last year they made a 200sx was 04 so in 04 the xc is the exc.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
SX = Moto XC = cross country

There are many differences just to name a few: suspension, wheels/tires, gas tank, pipe, seat, airbox, engine's are ported and timed differently, xc has lighting coil.

One is set up for moto other is set up for woods/cross country

ulmanb

Jun 12, 2003
My brother has a 2003 200sx and I have a 2006 200xcw.

The bikes look very similiar. Niether came with lights (prior to 2006 the mxc & exc had lights stock I think). I beleive they both have lighting coils and wiring harnesses.

I beleive the main dif is that the SX suspension is more adjustable and set up stiffer since it is for MX & SX whereas the xcw is for trail.

The XC & XCW came with the 2.9 gal tank, the sx had a 2? gallon. The SX is more of a revver than the xcw, this may be attributed to a different ignition, the 125ish pipe of the sx, and the position of the exhaust valve. The SX also has a 19" rear wheel, the xc /xcw has a 19"rear wheel.

May 10, 2007
ulmanb said:
I beleive the main dif is that the SX suspension is more adjustable and set up stiffer since it is for MX & SX whereas the xcw is for trail.

The XC & XCW came with the 2.9 gal tank, the sx had a 2? gallon. The SX is more of a revver than the xcw, this may be attributed to a different ignition, the 125ish pipe of the sx, and the position of the exhaust valve. The SX also has a 19" rear wheel, the xc /xcw has a 19"rear wheel.

the XC/XCW has suspension that is just as adjustable as the SX.

also the XC/XCW has an 18" rear.

i dont know about the sx having the lighting coil or wiring harness for lights but i know the XC/XCW (at least the 2008) has it because i run lights on mine.

ulmanb

Jun 12, 2003
the XC/XCW has suspension that is just as adjustable as the SX.

Maybe XC is just as adjustable, but the SX has a 2-piece fork cap with a extra set of valving in there. I am just changed the oil on my 2006 xcw oil and am about to do the SX and was reviewing the schematics when I saw all the extra parts.

Agent 007

Dec 30, 2008
So basically, if I am in Las Vegas and going to be doing mostly desert riding/trails/jumps, then the 200XC will probably be best for me then, right?

Thanks for the help guys...

Top Bottom