KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Having recently raced (my son) the EGYZ144 in two MX Lites B Class venues I found it refreshing to see a 2 stroke competitive with the 250F's. Of 28 pilots, only 2 were smokers. Whether out the start or down the long rythm the 250F's didn't pull AT ALL... none, not even a wheel length. So now we're back to rider skill. The past weekend LL qualifier had the 144 in a qualifying spot thru half the last lap... can't win or qualify when the front washes out.

At first my son was uncomfortable with the looks and the laughs of the boasting thumpers, not so afterwards. This is not saying one technology is better than the other, simply it's OK if you like riding the 2t and better yet your no longer disadvantaged as with the 125.

It's OK to be different... and yes, when the top 8 roared by I could hear "the wind-up toy bike" and it was great! It's nice to pick and choose your racing weapon without worrying about being cool, different, or poster child for a manufacturer.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
What class did he race a the LL qualifiers?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
:cool:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
My son sold his 250F over the winter and bought a 2005 RM250. Rode it at Red Bud yesterday for the first time. He loves it, doesn't miss the 250F at all.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
karterron said:
My son sold his 250F over the winter and bought a 2005 RM250. Rode it at Red Bud yesterday for the first time. He loves it, doesn't miss the 250F at all.
Upon selling the RMZ250 we went to the 250T... interesting to me was how my quickly my son picked up on the power distribution/curve. I suspect the 250F bottom torque complemented the learning curve when going to the 250T... for now he's gearing at mid r's with plenty to do all the MX obsticals. As I've expressed to him over the years, learn technique and where/when to use the power speed will become a natural thing.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Coming from a relatively low income area of the country, I'm not quite so alone on a 2 stroke - it'smaybe 75% 4 strokes/25% 2 strokes around here.

But it is still kind of fun being on something different. The interesting thing is watching a 1986 2 stroke ATV (bored to 310) win the ATV Pro class every week at the local track. :laugh:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
KX250Dad said:
Upon selling the RMZ250 we went to the 250T... interesting to me was how my quickly my son picked up on the power distribution/curve. I suspect the 250F bottom torque complemented the learning curve when going to the 250T... for now he's gearing at mid r's with plenty to do all the MX obsticals. As I've expressed to him over the years, learn technique and where/when to use the power speed will become a natural thing.
We were a little bit different, my son rode 2 strokes for a few year as a kid on mini bikes. We took a 3 year break from the sport while he was doing other sports. His last bike was a YZ85, when we came back in the fall of 05 he was taller than me and ready for the 125 class, so we went with a 250F. His first race was a race last summer on his 06 KX250 that Nikki from this website and her husband put on. Up until last summer I had a 250 two stroke that he used to ride back to back with his bike. He always liked the 2 stroke better, just never really caught on to the 4 strokes. When he turned 16 I broke the news that I was done buying bikes for him, time to get a job and pay his own way. He ditched that 4 stroke so fast it wasn't funny. Plus he didn't like racing in the 125C class, he raced my 250 two stroke a couple times in the 250C class, and was much more comfortable. He's not a big kid either, he's just more comfortable with the extra power I guess.

We bought the RM this winter, but last Sunday was his first time to ride it on a track. His first time out he had to learn how to ride one all over again, by the second time out it was like he never got off of one. He came in and was a happy camper, he can't wait for Megacross in 2 weeks. That's one of our local series that's run by some good people.

Wardy, you better be doing a no rain dance or something. We are going to hold you personally responsible if it gets rained out. :nener:

Top Bottom