Do sholder pads make sence? Gimping in Derry

FredBates

Sep 26, 2003
Dear KDXer’s,
I ride a mountain bike on some Saturdays to give me the illusion I am in shape when I loaf along (which I need to do more often) on y ’89 KDX on Sundays or Mondays here in Derry, NH. Mondays are better actually, with less packs of buzzing ATV brats on the Rockingham trail. Yea, like us, most ATVer’s are nice, but it’s the few %$#@@!‘s one remembers. Any way, yesterday I was sailing along down a one track down hill on the too small for me (at 6 ft 8 inches most things are) mountain bike and I, right after thinking the old hang glider line, “Don’t fly higher than you would like to fall,” hit a dip, flew and fell. My right shoulder is now very gimpy, I hope not broken (if it is what can be done anyway and it’s probably only a sprain. My question? I wore elbow pads, knee pads gloves and a helmet, as I do on the KDX, but should I consider shoulder pads after my give-me-a-10-for-degree-of-difficulty 3 pointer? I looked at some chest protectors on line, but I am not interested in guarding myself from roast so much as guarding me from the ground. I appreciate the pointers.
Fred Bates, Derry NH
Ps A site I found today you all may want to check out, copperleaf (dot) com crag bikes . Craig’s from Australia writes well about his past and present bikes (including his old KDX 175 and his present ‘93 200 as well as some serious road trips over seas and here in the US.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
I ride DH mtn bike.... which is what got me back into dirtbikes actually....

I wear a chest protector (an MX one usually) only when I'm going all out or doing dangerous drops... it is far to bulky and hot for regular CC mtn biking.

Top Bottom