do the 03's have the new offset clamps

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
does anyone know if the 03 exc's come with a 18 mm offset? or what the offset is? i heard the sx's have a 14mm offset!but wasnt sure about the exc. thanks

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
All of the 03 EXC models come with the same 20mm offset as last year. The general consensus is that the 03s do handle a lot better than the 02s though. It probably has to do with the new seat/tank combo. Maybe the 03 forks are less prone to diving like the 02s were, therefore letting the bike turn better?

Gerhard

Dec 18, 2001
Is you sure on it ?
I think that MXA wrote that there sitting 20 mm clamps and somebody on KTMtalk had also 20 mm on his 450 SX.
And there are no 14 mm clamps in the Spare parts manual for the -03 250/450/525 RFS.

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
have any of you guys tried the 18mm clamps? and is it worth 3-400 dollars?2mm doesnt seem like much of achange in offset. i'd hate to spend that money for a minimal gain in turning. thanks murf

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i have ridden an '03 250exc & while i don't know the dimension of the clamp, i can tell you that it turns tighter than the older bikes. i have an 18 on my '01, but i wouldn't make the change on an '03.

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
lawman,i have an 01 250 also.did the 18's help alot in the turning department? thinkin about buying a set but dont want to waste any money if the change isnt gonna be enough to notice. thanks

superfly

Dec 2, 2001
You guys are so close to the answer but not there - its comical. Why do you think the 03's magically turn better than the 02's? Answer - The riders seating position. The farther forward you are on the bike, the better it turns. On the 03's the seat allows the rider to naturally ride farther forward - hence better & more predictable steering. Put a TALL seat on an 02, and you get roughly the same result (A farther forward natural riding position).
Now what is the common problem most everyone has with the handling traits of the KTM's? Answer - The bike feels jittery underneath me, and I often get headshake at speed (especially when I chop the throttle in 4th gear). What to do about it? Do what Jeremy McGrath did - put 22mm offset clamps on your bike. I've been running 22's since 2000. It's the magic secret to stability that none of the aftermarket T Clamp companies want to admit (except Emig Racing).

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
superfly, thanks for your insight. i ran a tall superhard seat foam on my '01, but that made very little difference by itself. i put the '03 tank, tall hard seat & shrouds on my '01, & while it made mine better, my buddy's '03 250 still turned sharper. it did it in all conditions, so i don't think the added power of the 300 explains it. i put the 18mm clamp on mine, & it handles easier in the bar-banging lock-to-lock tight stuff 1 finds in enduros around here. i think there is some other change to the '03's frame. i've never been bothered by headshake, once i got the spring rates right, even without the damper, so stability wasn't the problem. my complaint was that the bikes are difficult to turn sharply in tight terrain. glad you found a solution for you.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I agree with Lawman on this one. Although KTM says there are no changes to the frame, I think there is however slight they may be. I know Jeb says his big tank from his 02 doesnt fit right on his 03 even though they are supposed to be the exact same bikes. Things like rad guards also dont fit from an 02 to an 03 either. Who knows? You would think that if they made some changes they would tell the buyers?

superfly

Dec 2, 2001
lawman, did you try removing the steering stops & moving the ignition to underneath the tank? That modification seems to make huge strides in the tight woods going lock-to-lock.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
superfly: yes, i moved the steering stops way in, that does let it go farther. i have not moved the black box on this 1; the scott's clamp i have clears it so well that i don't think it needs it. i did move the box on my '00 with the stock clamp, & it helped. my complaint with the handling is that it seemed a little too slow to tuck the front end into a corner. the 18mm clamp really helps with that. the '03 seat & tank are a nice improvement, they really make it easier to scoot around on the bike, but i still thought it could turn tighter, & that's what the clamp does. the '03, with its stock clamp, seems to me to handle at least as well. if i could afford it, i'd try the 22mm too.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Do you guys think that the new 48mm forks or axle location have anything to do with the better turning? What about the new shock on the 03s? There must be something.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
scotty, i'm convinced that they did something to the '03, but i don't know what it is. it handles really well in tight stuff.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I used to own a '96 KTM 300 and I rode a buddys' new '03 recently albiet a short ride. The '03 feels lower to the ground than my '96. The seat height on his '03 was lower compared to my '01 Gas Gas XC 250 that I currently ride. I comfortably had both feet on the ground with his bike. Not so with mine, I have to tip toe.

Top Bottom