Do you have any unique rituals you do when you ride?

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
I always take a sports drink and jerky.
I also always wear shorts on the ride there.
I always get on the bike from the clutch side because when i mount on the bike from the gas side I seem to have something bad happen :coocoo: (last time I mounted from the gas side I burned up my 89 ktm at the sand dunes, and that was over 3 years since I had that bike.)

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I ride with a helmet :p
and I tend to alway ride geared up (sans helmet and gloves) to where ever I'm going to ride.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I always get on the bike from the clutch side

I don't believe I have ever seen anyone get on the side other than the left side of the bike. As a matter of fact I read the post and then went out to the garage to try getting on the right side of the bike, it doesn't feel natural.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I always put my left knee guard on first. If I forget and do it right side first, I'll remove them and start over

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
This is more habit than ritual, but, I never sleep the night before a race or ride, race weekend I get to sleep about 2am and wake up at 4am, off weekends ( no ride or race ) I do the same thing, you would think after 35 yrs I wouldn't be acting like a kid on Xmas eve, but that's just the way it is, come Sunday evening though, as soon as I walk in the house, I hit the floor gear and all and I'm out for hrs

My wife laughs at me, Mon-Fri I can't get my a$$ out of bed, come the weekend I can't get my a$$ into bed

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'm not superstitious about anything else, but I do have and old pair of 'lucky' socks that I always put in my gear bag. I never wear them anymore, but I pack them anyways.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
I put on my right glove first, then the left, then velcro the left, then the right. Right is always first on, last velcroed.
I think mounting from the gas side screws up your equilibrium until it's finally balanced by a crash.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I freakin' pray.

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
I put my gear on the same always. first pants, then kidney belt(before I button the pants) then jersy, boots, chest protector, gloves, helmet (which is stupid cause I always struggle with the chin strap cause I have my gloves on) then helmet. :coocoo:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
cr250can said:
hence the name crash master?
More then you will ever know dude ;)

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I always check my gas tank twice, and check my tires twice... I always get on from the left side, even when it's not prudent, I kinda "flap" my hads before the ride and in the begining of the ride periodically as it seems to minimize the pins and needles caused by my poor circulatory system, and I always.... always say a little something private to myself, to remind me why I'm here, and why it's important that I stick around ...... ;)

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
1. Stop at the McD nearest the start to visit a clean restroom with ample paper
2. Gear up same way every time and check bike like other said
4. Check at least 3 times to make sure I didn't lock key in the truck
3. Some water and 1 GU gel 15 min. before start

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i always CRANK the awake album from godsmack while gearing up in the parking lot (its got the song from the navy recruiting commercials............i pretend im going on a recon mission on a badarse CR :)

when riding trails i always tell my buddies if they dont see me at the fork in the road i went straight dont worry ill wait for ya sooner or later :aj:

Last edited:

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
When first starting out....putt putting from the parking lot to the begining of the trail...I do a NAC NAC style stretch( with wheels still on the ground of course) first to the left,then to the right. It usually gets a chuckle out of someone who is riding with us for the first time. :laugh:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hmmmm, I never really thought about it but I guess I do have some creature habits :think:
  • I have to have my hair in a scrunchie "just so" otherwise the helmet pulls on my hair
  • Stretch out in full gear extensively, then I do figure eights in exaggerated Trials style form to warm up some more
  • I try not to drink too much Captain Morgan the night before a race
  • I pay close attention to how my Alpinestars feel on my feet (buckled, pinches, pebbles in the heel, etc)
  • Position the mouthpiece on my camelback for easy grab
  • Try to set some goals for this ride, e.g. review correct positioning, technique in my head, etc.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Im not too sure about before the ride rituals, but after, if at Hollister me and the kid go get a gatorade at the store, then on the way out i always ask if we rode fast and deserve a StarBucks :nod:

xcracer725

Jun 2, 2004
Before a GNCC i drink atleast one bottle of water,atleast one gatorade, one or two redbulls and a couple bananas. when im on the line waiting i usually get off my bike and pee a few times...lol o and i take atleast two #2's durin the time im there but before a local race i just drink a redbull.

Feb 20, 2004
getting on the bike from the clutch side. was taught from my dad that its always the way to get on. also i seem to ( usually) tip over on that side and not the other

Crash217

May 4, 2005
well. I don't think I have any real rituals with my riding. I do the normal check over's of all my equipment like anyone else. no real particular order.

My only really goofy thing is I absolutely can not ride with out chewing gum. 98% of the time is Wrigley's DoubleMint. I got the habit from my dad who loves the stuff. I don't like the taste all that much and never chew it during the week. But there's always a couple peices in my fanny pack and a pack in my truck that i snag a peice from right after i put on my helmet. I've tried riding without the gum and honest to god, i can't find a groove without it. I've even gone as far as having whomever is pitting for me at a harescramble race have a fresh peice waiting for me when i gas up. I also duct tape a peice to my gas can at enduro's so it's there at the gas available out on the trail for me.

On second thought, Another strange phenomenon is that I can't ride without a fanny pack. Even going to the occasional local mx race, i wear the fanny pack. I just feel naked without it and subsequently, i can't find my rythem. it does get uncomfortable on the big jumps sometimes though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom