MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well what do you know, I believe our very own DirtJunkie and partner got 4th place in the Baja 500. I don't know much about classes etc but Chris is the co-pilot, navigator etc in this truck. I believe he even said something about signing autographs for hours :) Give us all the details junkie. Congrats man. Chris, sorry I haven't called back but we've had some bad news and have been a little busy. Give me a shout.

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hmmm, I guess Chris must be hiding from the spotlight. Come on Hoff - give us the details or I'm sending my henchwoman over there. She IS in your neck of the woods (or desert) and knows where you live :p

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well it doesn't look like DJ is going to give us any details so I will post a picture of them in the truck at a previous race. I am pretty sure this was @ laughlin.

Attachments

• laughlin jump8 (wince).jpg
    laughlin jump8 (wince).jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 193

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I might have said trophy truck earlier but I believe that is our boy in bold down there. Not sure if Jim Stiles is the driver or the owner of the truck.

PROTRUCK (Limited Production Trucks) - 1. Al Hogan, Columbus, Mont./Steve
Cooper, Missoula, Mont., Ford, 11:59:10 (39.51 mph); 2. Steve Barlow,
Temecula, Calif., Ford F-150, 12:13:00; 3. Dave Sykes, Del Mar, Calif., Ford
F-150, 14:03:05; 4. Jim Stiles, Oxnard, Calif., Ford F-150, 14:15:50; 5 Wally
Hrdlicka, 47, Palm Desert, Calif./Steve Abernathy, Palm Springs, Calif., Ford
F-150, 14:32:22; 6. Gary Magness, Palm Springs, Calif., Ford F-150, 14:44:20;
7. John Becker, Newhall, Calif., Ford F-150, 15:13:54. (11 starters, 7
finishers).

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
What is it, an all-FORD series, or are the Chevies still sucking dirt?
I knew the Simon & Simon brothers before they withdrew (Rainbow, CA)--became familiar with them & their shop while in Kali, training. Their head mechanic was a patient of mine, so I'd go up there with him & fire up a few of those all-aluminum SVO motors in the dark (when no one was lookin' :) ) Needless to say, I was impressed with the amount of dollars thrown at these things. All chromemoly chassis, handbuilt suspensions & driveline (including completely fabricated driveline casings)--I think there were several hundred thousand dollars in each of the pickups & they had 20-30 grand in each of the motors (10 or so lying around the shop :eek: ).

Simply amazing.

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Okay gather around kids... ha! The race was on the June 1st. We did the pre-run the week on bikes the week prior. Just as much fun too! The course started and ended in downtown Ensenada. With my F350 as the chase truck towing the 3 rail we had my son Shawn CRF450 (not a member yet...what's up with that?) Ed and Jim Stiles driver for Stiles Racing out of Rio Vista Ca. Stiles Racing absolutely a great team. The rest of us were on CR500's. Thanks to a flat on Ed's bike which kept me in the saddle for the day 200+ miles all the way to Mikes Sky Rancho. Very cool place if you haven't been there. Dirt Bikers resort, rooms, pool, parking for bikes, meals etc. Mike is a really nice guy. It was a remote hunting & fishing camp till the Baja racers started going past it in 1967 or so. The next day it it was my turn to drive, 25 miles of very rough road back to Hwy 3. Then just out of a little town called San Vincent the axal broke on the 3 rail, three pre-runners on bikes helped me pull it off the road and I sent a SOS message with them to my guys. They came back about 4:00 PM and I took the axal into town and found "Jose McGiver" and was back in a hour. My turn to ride... we made it down to Hwy 1 and waited for the truck. Then it started getting dark, still no truck, finally I found him and no trailer, ( the other axal broke 3 miles later) We made it to a motel at mid night dropped off our stuff and went after the trailer got back a 4:00AM. The next day we found some locals who also race, fixed the trailer and they treated us like family. We finished the beach run, about 30 miles or so all along the coast and a 70 or 80 mile loop and headed for home. Great trip...nobody complained we all had a great time.
Back to Ensenada on Thursday night just in time for some fresh fish some of the team caught on a fishing boat and the chief at the hotel cooked for us.
Friday was contingency, we had to roll or drive the race truck though the race vendors and finally a safety check so we could race the next day. This took about 5 hours or so and we signed autographs most of this time. I could not belive the fanfare turnout, bands playing, the Tecate girls (soooo calenti) The only thing I ever autographed was a traffic ticket.
Race day- 8am tons of cars/trucks. We ran in the Pro-truck class #217 They blocked off the main St. in front on the convention center and built a dirt podium for the starting line. There was thousands of people everywhere, all cheering the racers on. Every 30 seconds they let one go ( kinda like me)
The sand wash out of town was lined with people, we got passed by some locals once we hit the pavement which was supposed to be a enforced speed limit and cops everywhere. We passed them again, out in the weeds with trouble (almost broke my heart) Next few hours were trouble free a good chance to take a nap, riiiiiiight! We got dusted before a hard right turn and went over a berm and landed in someone's camp, almost hit their car's. This knocked the wind out of Jim, I'm yelling go and he's yelling shut the hell up. Then we put the truck on a rock about the size on a TV took us a while to jack the truck us and get back on the road. The biggest problem was we couldn't see over the hood. After only one flat and getting stuck 10 miles before the finish line we made it in 14 1/2 hrs. It was a long day but one to remember for sure. Only my second race, the first was at laughlin you might of seen the pic of the truck in the air coming off a jump earlier in this post sent by eddy. I'll put together picture page when I get them sent to me.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
WTG, dirtjunkie!
What an experience that must have been.

I have a question though....should I get my motor back from Jose McGyver before he gets the cases broke apart? :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
:)

racerdad

Jun 14, 2002
Well...this is Jim Stiles...in the flesh...(well I have my shorts on). This is my first trip to this site.....very cool. Yes I am the driver of the Stiles Racing Protruck, Chris just sits there and tells me how to drive.....lol

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by racerdad
Chris just sits there and tells me how to drive.....lol
He told me his only job was to unwrap your McDs egg McMuffins and hand them to you. ;)

Way to go guys. When's the next race?

BTW, I say bring back the truck's original colors, much prettier. :p

Top Bottom