Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Hey all!

I just picked up a DT175 for next to nothing. The guy thought it was a '74, but I'm almost certain it's a '78 --- monoshock, fork tubes behind and below the axle.

He wasn't sure the oil injector worked, so just dumped in premix. It's warming slow, cutting out high midrange, and acting like it's running rich.

How do I test if the injector is working? If I want to just forget it, how do I disable it and just mix my oil in the gas?

Also, when he went to write me a bill of sale we couldn't find any serial numbers. I know where those are on the frame and engine of my IT and MX 400s, but they ain't there on this 175. Anybody know where they are?

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
A little more on this --- if it might help anyone come up with any information for me. The swingarm is round tubing, which seems to date the bike pre-'80 from looking on bikepics.com. The forks on the '80's have the axle below them though, with probably 5" travel max. It's possible someone changed them, but they appear to be the Yamaha stock ones from those years (black plugs in the top). Though my other older Yamys have had the frame number on the front tube between the trees, there's no number there and no sign of it being ground away. My other old ones hava all had the engine number on the right case half on a 'serated' flat part. This one has the flat part, but it isn't serated, and there's no number. If the bike was stolen sometime in the past somebody went to a LOT of trouble and work to not only remove numbers, but make it look like they never were there --- which makes little sense.

From reading an online article about what a great bike the DT was from it's '78 introduction until Kaw and Suzuki outdated it, it says the actual displacement was 173cc --- this cylinder says 171cc. This was a super popular bike at the end of the '70's. Any old timers out there who can help me with some info?

Top Bottom