Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Here's my understanding of the rules / policies for promoting from C class to B, and from B class to A. Let me know if I'm missing anything...

C -> B

Promotion from C to B is a local district issue; the AMA does not specify how C riders advance. D-14 policy for advancing C riders: The top 5 or 20% of all riders earning overall C points (whichever is less) will be advanced to the B class for the next season.

There were 35 C riders in 2006. 20% = 7 so it's top 5. Based on the past season results, here are the new B riders:

- North, Paul (C-Jr)
- Griffin, David (C-Sr)
- Bunker, Kristopher (C-Jr)
- Buxton, Jeff (C-Sr)
- Griffin, Bill (C-Sr)

(FWIW, I was only top 8 last year and would not have been promoted per to D-14 rules.)

B -> A

The AMA will promote you from the B to A class once you've earned 100 "promotion" points. Promotion points are awarded based on how many riders are in the B class (overall) at the end of season, and your overall position within that class. Promotion points are only awarded to the top 15%. Promotional points are cumulative. See below for the enduro promotion point award chart.

Here are the riders and the promotion points they earned in 2006:

- Dusendang, Cody (25)
- Maurer, Mike (23)
- Krueger, Kurt (20)
- Laplante, Steven (17)
- Graham, Ken (14)
- VanKoevering, Brian ( 9)

So.... the maximum promotion points you can earn in a year is 25 (?), therefore to be promoted by the AMA would take a minimum of 4 years?

If so, how is it that DW and Shannon Flegel got promoted with only 1 season in the B class?

Are promotion points awarded for each race or just at the end of the season?

:think:

Attachments

• EnduroPromotionChartAll.jpg
    EnduroPromotionChartAll.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 303

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Shagy100 said:
i belive its for each race
... For each race at the event level, or at the district level?

For example, at Goshen it was a multi-district race. The results had Overall B standings. Are those the results used in computing promotion points?

.... Or, once the D-14 riders are pulled out into their own Overall B standings, are these used as the basis for computing promotion points?

:think:

525 DSK

Mar 30, 2004
Points are given for each race by district. in other words its where you finished in your district and not where you placed in that race.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks! :cool:

See attached for what I calculated as earned promotion points for the 2006 season. Does this look right?

Attachments

• 2006_D-14_Promotion_Points.pdf
    8 KB · Views: 155

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Based on everything available from the AMA that I've read, they don't advance you to 'A' for taking 1st in a national 'B' class. I think he earned them through promotion points (Delaware put him over 100).

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Hey guys, I'm a B rider and I have been accumulating these points for a while now. As best that I understand it, promotion points are awarded at each race and are based on the overall B standings regardless of district or series affliation. Think about it. If you did it after various district or series riders were removed from the standings, you would award multiple people 25 points for overall B. There's only one person who overall Bs a race. That person gets the 25 points and then on down. You don't have to be racing for district or series points at various races. If someone showed up and all they put on their entry was their AMA number and they finished 4th overall B, they will get the advancement points for that position regardless of their district or lack of district.

So, if you overall B 4 times in one season, you're an A rider. There are provisions in the rules that will allow a B rider to stay in B in order to finish that current season in the B class and not get promoted mid-series.

I hope this makes sense. I am by no means an expert on this, but, as a person who has helped out club fill out the AMA report at the end of a race, this is my understanding of how this works.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Hey Bark,

Truthfully, once you get that A stamped on your card it's very very difficult to get the AMA to take it off. You can petition them, but they don't agree to remove it often, from what I've heard.

I have witnessed a protest where a B rider was protested for being "too" competitive in the B class, and then when things were investigated it turns out that said rider was promoted to A, but rejoined the AMA under a slightly different name and was given a new membership card without the A and thus continued to ride in the B class. When it was figured out that the person had in fact been promoted to A some years ago, they were stripped of all of their series points in the B class, supsended for a certain number of races and then place on probation after that.

It wasn't a pleasant situation.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
barkbuster67 said:
So does that mean that I can drop back down to "B" class and be competive again?

What makes you think you would be competative in the B class there Walt? :moon:

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Timr said:
Hey Bark,

Truthfully, once you get that A stamped on your card it's very very difficult to get the AMA to take it off. You can petition them, but they don't agree to remove it often, from what I've heard.

I have witnessed a protest where a B rider was protested for being "too" competitive in the B class, and then when things were investigated it turns out that said rider was promoted to A, but rejoined the AMA under a slightly different name and was given a new membership card without the A and thus continued to ride in the B class. When it was figured out that the person had in fact been promoted to A some years ago, they were stripped of all of their series points in the B class, supsended for a certain number of races and then place on probation after that.

It wasn't a pleasant situation.

I quit riding (and racing) for 12 years letting my AMA card expire - I asked for my old AMA number back and was asked if I wanted it back as an 'A' rider again or would I rather start over as a 'B' since I had not raced in so long. Evidently there must be some period of time after which you can "step back". I kept the 'A' since it makes no nevermind when you're old coot anyway.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Smit - thanks for doing the chart... my new goal try to get to "A" before old man Don accomplished it @ 56yrs. :nener: And don't do it the easy way by riding a bunch of nationals - like DW. :nener:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Good Luck! ... FYI, the PDF chart is wrong.... it's based on D-14 overall, not event overall like it should be.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
I wouldn't say riding any national is easy salgeek.

I don't know how it works but 2 weeks after I won the AMA National B senior championship I received a new AMA card with an A on it...Didn't waste any time did they! Then 30 days after that I received an AMA National No# 1 front number plate.... :cool: , just like RC's.. :laugh:

Well I don't know how many B points Cody has accumulated this year but he will be in an A class next season.

DW

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Congrats to all the riders that earned "A" status this year!
A fine group of riders, and an outstanding group of individuals! :cool:

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Wolverine423 said:
I wouldn't say riding any national is easy salgeek.DW

Just pulling the pink streamers off your bike, DW. I've got plenty respect for your riding ability and the route you took to get to A. :cool:

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Congrats to all who have stepped up a class. You worked hard before the season even started and kept it up throughout the year. :cool: Riding with you and bringing up the rear has allways made me feel inadequate and slow. :yell: Now seeing that your all A and AA riders makes me feel good again. :nod:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Timr said:
... Truthfully, once you get that A stamped on your card it's very very difficult to get the AMA to take it off. You can petition them, but they don't agree to remove it often, from what I've heard.
Can't be too difficult... There are a couple of former D14 A-Senior riders who now run B-Senior.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
INCA said:
Overall B at a national is instant move to A, no if, ands or butts.

That didn't used to be true. It was total points accumulated and one 'B' high point didn't make it (I think the old system was 40 points for a national 'B' high point). In my case I took a 4th overall at a national followed by a 7th overall at a national - neither one was a 'B' high point (I was 2nd place 'B' at both). Within six weeks (after the nationals) I 'B' high pointed two dist 14 enduros and had an 'A' card in the mail within 2 weeks.

Of course all of this was years ago and the point system has probably changed since then too. Also I am sure that I had accumulated quite a few points (from class wins and overall standings at local enduros) even before those two nationals.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I think the North points are an error on the part of the club. C riders should not be considered in the overall B scoring. Paul will get his share of advancement points next year. He was riding very good at the end of the year and should be in the running for B hi point next year. Of course, if we make a Super Senior B class, he will have to compete with Marsh!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom