Brian_V

Jun 22, 2005
I just got a 2003 KX 250 (brand new, dealer leftover). I'm new to 2 strokes, and am trying to get it set up for racing enduros. So far I've done this:

- acerbis bark busters
- moose skid plate
- 9 oz flywheel weight
- spark arrestor
- carbon fiber pipe guard
- couple extra teeth in the back

I'm up in Colorado, and ride between 5 and 13K' elevation. What else do people recommend for setting up a bike for off-road? How are the radiators on this bike? Is it a big problem breaking them? Does anyone know of a company that makes good, relatively inexpensive rad guards for it?
I also put an ngk b8es spark plug in it (auto), and it seems to run fine. I know people are mighty particular about plugs, any harm in using an auto plug (or just the wrong plug in general)?
What do people do with the suspension for enduros? Can the stock ones be made to work, or is there a noticeable difference getting the suspension worked? (I'm about 210 with gear).

Thanks for any and all help, I sure do love this bike so far.

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
I would definately put radiator braces on it at the very least, they are cheap insurance. If I were you i would also invest in a revalve, it will work wonders for the rideability of the bike. I would also use a resistor type plug to eliminate any "noise" from the secondary ignition. It can mess with the electronics of the bike. I don't believe it will cause any damage, BUT I put a non resistor plug in my 01 KX for a heat race(fouled a plug at the last second) and the bike developed a high speed miss until I changed it out for a resistor plug. I did run a non resistor plug in my 125 and it didnt seem to affect it.
A resistor type plug does not affect the spark at all, just eliminates RF interference.
I like my Kx's for off road riding, (hare scrambles & enduro's). The motor is well suited to that type of riding in my opinion. :cool:

Dave

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Your peformance mods sound fine. Your biggest issue will be tech inspection at enduros. Some require you to be street legal. Out west with more land and probably less need to tie areas together with roads, you may be OK, though.

Brian_V

Jun 22, 2005
James980 said:
Out west with more land and probably less need to tie areas together with roads, you may be OK, though.

Yup, there's only one or two that require street legal. Thanks for the replies. How about radiator guards? What do people recommend? Also, I thought of another question... anyone know how loud the stock pipe is on these? Most enduros around here have a 99 or 96 db limit. Anyone know the answer to this?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Stock pipes are almost always over 100db, also most enduros require a spark arrestor. I'd recomend an FMF Q. Be sure the dial in your jetting. Nothing wrong with using an "auto" plug as long as its the correct model for your bike. ie, if you need a BR8ES it doesn't matter if you get it in a motorcycle box or auto box, its the same plug. I'd recomend the BR8EIX. The fine tip resists fouling better. Be sure to get it jetted well, it makes a world of difference. Since you got the bike new, you might as well plate it. Often its easy to do with the origional certificate of origian. You just have to make sure the dmv doesn't notice the "not for high way use" or "for off road use only". Depending on your CO it often works to strategically place a dealer sticker over the offending words:)

If you are trying to be competive you will need a way to keep time, at the least a roll chart holder, and idealy an enduro computer. You may also need a larger fuel tank depending on how you set up your pit stops.

Devol makes good rad guards.

You will be able to get the suspension to work fairly well without a re-valve as you are a bit heavier than what kawasaki targets as the average rider (170lbs). Start by setting the sag, then turn turn the compression clickers all the way out and the re-bound a few clicks out. If you have the time/know-how set the oil level in the forks to the lowest setting. Run the tires as low as you are comfortable with (be wary of flats/bent rims) - I usually run about 11psi front and 10 rear. I do end up with slight dings in the rims in rocky races but never had a flat.

Overall, jetting is probably the most importaint thing.

good luck and have fun:)

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
You will be fine with the stock pipe andI FMF Turbine Core II w/ Spark Arrestor. Mine checks in around 94-96db.

Suspension needs to be revalved for your needs. At 210 pounds, you will probably need 47kg fork springs and around a 5.4 rear spring.

Radiator guards are a good investment. Devol is good, so are Flatlandracing.

I run the B8EG plug. Seems to start better.

Play with your timing on the stator a little. I retard mine to the left tick mark and the bike mellows a tad. I find it isn't so herky jerky. I have an 11oz FWW.

I bought a used ICO Pro Comp Enduro computer for $150. I sure like it. Look around on the RMEC website and at the races for anyone selling these.

All I ride is enduros and tight single track on my KX. It handles very well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom