Expert opinions on AMA 144 rule?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The earplugs helping with fatigue is a great idea. I find myself wearing earplugs when I have to fly. I am much less beat up by the end of th eday.

I am going to try it on the motorcycle. Thanks for the great idea.

krosser

Apr 7, 2003
Living in a crowded part of the world. SE England, as i do i really notice the noise thing growing. Slowly more and more tracks are only allowing stock or quiet pipes such as a Q on 4T. Some inc a racing club insist on Q types only and stock on a 2 stroke and still get grief from whingers. Even here the powers that be, the ACU our AMA, are dragging their heels and leaving tracks to turn away business to stay open as they can't look ahead a few years to when they will no longer be in charge of anyone. I can understand to a point how it must be all day week after week if you are not into MX but here they move in near a track that was there 1st and complain. Even tracks that are used on only 2 or 3 occasions a year are attacked and these people are usually better organised and funded than us. The USA may have more room but it will just take a little longer to catch up although Ca is starting to suffer as it is getting fairly crowded.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
motometal said:
Ken-ever try earplugs? I noticed your post regarding fatigue. I rarely ride, street or dirt without foam earplugs. I think even a fairly quiet bike with causes hearing damage over the long term. I will warn you, it's addictive. Once you get used to wearing earplugs, the first time you unload and get ready to ride, and realize you forgot them, it will bum you out.
ABSOLUTELY! I learned that roadracing over 20 years ago. I first noticed a dramatic reduction in fatigue in endurance races and then realized the many other benefits. I too carry multiple packs of the foam E.A.R. versions so I always have extra. I also carry a set of over the ear protectors in the van; sometimes (ex. extended skid loader operation, etc.) I'll use both at the same time. You can still hear what you need to.

What we're all talking about here is the non-riders who shouldn't have to reach for hearing protection because some one is riding nearby. Imagine being able to talk to someone sitting next to you about the race at a SX race; wouldn't that be nice? :cool:

ACMYERS

Nov 20, 2005
The New 144 kit rule? ***AMA***

I was under the impression that the 144 rule was/is still being debated. We are sticking with the 2-strokes for our first year on big bikes. I don't think we need the kit for the winter in michigan, but if the rule passes would like to be ready for the outdoor season.
On a side note I will be looking for someone familiar with KTM 125's that can build a reliable motor if this rule changes. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Sam

ACMYERS

Nov 20, 2005
Thank you for the reply Masterphil. Eric sounds like a great choice. I'm just not sure if I need it. I want Reliability and if the KTM 125 is already able to compete with the 4-strokes then I would rather do that than sacrafice reliability. I'm just trying to get enough information to make an educated decision. Earlier I read that it is not legal to run in 125 junior.If that is the case then all is for not.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Eric's 144 kit would sacrafice no reliability, unless you get it ported for mid-top. I have the same bike as you. My last bike was an 02 yz426f, and this little 125 just amazes me with how much power it makes. Running race fuel and jetting it a little sharper really gives some gains. I'm not sure what conditions you ride in, but I started with a baseline jetting of 45 pilot, 1469G needle on second clip, and a 192 main. That got me much better response and feel than the stock needle and main, I'm still a little rich and could probably go to a 188 main and still be safe. Have you adjusted your powervalve like this, it makes the power come on much more smoothly. FYI, KTM riders Langston and Metcalfe use this setting for the powervalve on their bikes. The adjustment that I am referring to is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,610643,00.html

Having said all of that, I think I'll probably be having Eric bore mine out to 144 and port for mo-better and race fuel sometime in the future.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
The 144 Rule has been approved.
The 'proposal' has been accepted but I didn't think they'd voted on approving the rule yet and putting it into effect? They certainly hadn't a couple of weeks back when I was following this.

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Dam Eric ," oh no ", ya got me thinking again.. Ya see I was pretty much set on a 450 for next season , since I should be full speed ahead for racing the old vet class . I actually had a 04 CRF450 for a while and thought it to be the ticket (sold it since I couldn't race this year) . Anyways , not having any real experience with four strokes , the maintenance issues that have been mentioned are a real eye opener . Maybe a new 250 2-stroke, with a bigbore kit ?.......... Thanks Eric !..
That noise issue , just hand out ear plugs to everybody else....

Top Bottom