jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
125 or 250F

I am 19 years old and about to buy my first dirt bike ever in a few weeks. I need to know what size i should get. A 125 2stroke or 250 4stroke? I am 6'3 155 pounds. I want to get into racing once i ride for a little while. I dont want to under power myself but i dont want to much power. Which should i get?

Last edited:

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
i was leaning more towards the 125 2stoke but i odnt know anyhting about these things YET. but thats for the replys guys

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Go for the 125, learn to ride it. I mean ride it the way it's meant to be ridden. Once you have that mastered then go for the 250F or whatever.

IMO:Starting out with the 250F will make you a lazy rider that lacks skill. There are many skills that you learning HOW to ride a 125.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
jtm994 said:
...19 years old and about to buy my first dirt bike... 125 2stroke or 250 4stroke... 6'3 155 pounds... dont want to under power myself...
Couple of simple questions will give you your answer:
1. Are you paying for the bike (highly recommend, your dad can thank me later) 2. You are buying a used bike (recommended for a newcomer) 3. You will be doing the bike reapirs/maintenance (a must for this sport and your eventual goal e.g., mx racing) 4. Your secure enough with yourself you don't need to be "cool" 5. You want to be part of the best sport ever
If you answered yes to all the above then my opinion would favor a 125 2stk. Used 125's right now... get great buys on a late model bike. Don't even consider a used 250F (read the other DRN fourms) The 125 technology is simple and you will be trouble shooting and top ending in no time. Many buy the 250F's to be cool or I'm better than you thing... don't get caught up in that true competitors/friends and riders respect each other (at least off the track). The 250F would be the easier to learn (safer), however the initial and post cost will be 3-5x higher. Your size and weight is ideally suited both bikes. In so far as the under powered thing... that's a non-issue in mx, it's your skill that will win races if your in the right class. My son and I have had both 2 & 4 strokes and this is about as honest as you get.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
KX250Dad said:
Couple of simple questions will give you your answer:
1. Are you paying for the bike (highly recommend, your dad can thank me later) 2. You are buying a used bike (recommended for a newcomer) 3. You will be doing the bike reapirs/maintenance (a must for this sport and your eventual goal e.g., mx racing) 4. Your secure enough with yourself you don't need to be "cool" 5. You want to be part of the best sport ever
If you answered yes to all the above then my opinion would favor a 125 2stk. Used 125's right now... get great buys on a late model bike. Don't even consider a used 250F (read the other DRN fourms) The 125 technology is simple and you will be trouble shooting and top ending in no time. Many buy the 250F's to be cool or I'm better than you thing... don't get caught up in that true competitors/friends and riders respect each other (at least off the track). The 250F would be the easier to learn (safer), however the initial and post cost will be 3-5x higher. Your size and weight is ideally suited both bikes. In so far as the under powered thing... that's a non-issue in mx, it's your skill that will win races if your in the right class. My son and I have had both 2 & 4 strokes and this is about as honest as you get.

I will be paying for the bike and i dont care if i look cool on the track or not. I just want to start riding and maybe a little while down the road start racing. Now if i were to buy a used 2stroke how would i know if the engine was in good shape. I always hear guys taking about rebuilding the top end? What exactly does that mean and how much would it run me if i got a used 2stroke and i need to do it? What other problems major problems might i run into buying a used 2strokes? I know nothing about working on bikes and when i say nothing i mean nothing at all

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If you know nothing about working on bikes, you're probably best to get a 125. It'll cost less to fix when it breaks :)

But seriously, I've owned both, YZ125 and YZ250F. Both were fun bikes. As you're just starting out, you'd probably do fine on a YZ125. It's not as "easy" to ride as the 250F, but it's a good first bike. Plus being 6'3", it will feel small and light to you. Doing the top end on a 125 costs around $100, and it about 3-4 hours of work for a beginner mechanic. When I raced 125's, I would do a top end, or just rings, every 15-20 hours on the bike. And I also went through clutch plates/baskets pretty regularly, which was getting pretty expensive.

But now that I race a 250F, I would never race a 125 again. The 250F is easier to ride, and has smooth dependable power. But the preventative maintenance of checking valve clearances scares some people (although it's a simple 20 minute process once you get the hang of it). But if you have motor problems, it can be very costly to replace everything if needed, compared to a 125.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
nikki said:
...owned both, YZ125 and YZ250F. Both were fun bikes... YZ125. It's not as "easy" to ride as the 250F... being 6'3", it will feel small and light to you... also went through clutch plates/baskets pretty regularly
I suspect what Nikki may have forgotten is the skills were learned on the 125... once you develop skills, speed, racing and hitting the podium come naturally. Point being, some of the 250F riders, my son being one, went from the 125 to the 250F and did well... he loved the power delivery and could do things the 125 couldn't (big jumps out of turns... example). Given a first bike scenario I seriously doubt he could have simply jumped on the 250F without the basic in the air skills. Point being, learn technique the bike technology best for you will naturally surface. At the end of the day my son decided helike light and the ability to make quicker decisions (the snap of the 2stk) thus his return to the 125. Interseting to point out (following is an opinion), I believe the 250F set him up to ride the 250 2stk well, that's a dscussion for another time. Cost... now way around it .. the sport isn't cheap. Read some of the other DRN fourms, it's pretty much a fact a 250F post purchase cost is 3-5X higher than a 2stk. DON'T EVER BUY A USED 250F... however, new you can pretty much expect a trouble free first year. When I purchase used 2-strokes I add for the $100 top end and set aside $300 for a cluth basket and fiber/plate kit... all reasonably easy to install knowing i'll need them both sooner than later. Regardles which technology you choose do yourself a favor... get your riding skills polished first... speed will be a natural thing. Guys who are all throttle generally have poor technique and send more time being worked on themselves than their bike.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
Well my mind is pretty much set that i am going to get 125 2stroke, but i am not real sure what brand and if i want a new trouble free bike b/c i dont know anything about them or if i want to save some money and get a used one and have to replace alot of things on it after the first couple of rides. I deff have enough money for a new one but i am still thinking about it....hopefully my 4wheeler will sell in the next week or so so i will have a little more cash to help me make up my mind. but i mean when i go and buy a used 125 2stroke how in the world do i know the engine is in good shape?

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
jtm994 said:
Well my mind is pretty much set that i am going to get 125 2stroke, but i am not real sure what brand and if i want a new trouble free bike b/c i dont know anything about them or if i want to save some money and get a used one and have to replace alot of things on it after the first couple of rides. I deff have enough money for a new one but i am still thinking about it....hopefully my 4wheeler will sell in the next week or so so i will have a little more cash to help me make up my mind. but i mean when i go and buy a used 125 2stroke how in the world do i know the engine is in good shape?

test ride it. look on the transmission cover and see how much discoloration is on it. and have fun

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
jtm994 said:
... when i go and buy a used 125 2stroke how in the world do i know the engine is in good shape?
When I buy used generally it's word of mouth and I'll have a little background to work with, doesn't sound like an option for you. You might nose up to your local mx parts shop, you got a quad so I suspect you've got a contact. You've picked a good time to buy a used 125 so you'll get a good bang for the buck. The 125 is a very simple maching... buy 3-5 years old and they're even a little simplier. Don't be intimidated about mechanic skills... ride a bike you'll become a mechanic quick. My personal rule... always buy a bike from a fellow that races, most take better care of their ride... they have to, and by the nature of the sport most will be anxious to help you even after they sell it... back to a rider becomes a mechanic thing. Simply stated... just go for it, have fun, and surprisingly enough every thing else it appears your concerned about will fall in place.

Top Bottom