mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
My son, a friend and myself went to a flat track race sat. night in Fountain Inn SC. Never saw this kind of racing except on TV it was pretty cool. Trouble was, it was about 30 degrees or colder so I didn't get to talk much with racer's. What are some flat track web sites that specialize in selling frames and parts for this type racing? Not that I need anything else to sink money into but won't hurt to look I suppose.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Someone (89R) correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I've had is that flat track has even more to do with rider skill than equipment...even more so than MX. I have heard that people can be competitive on cheap trail bikes that would otherwise not be competitive in MX (like XRs and DRs).

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
Someone (89R) correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I've had is that flat track has even more to do with rider skill than equipment...even more so than MX. I have heard that people can be competitive on cheap trail bikes that would otherwise not be competitive in MX (like XRs and DRs).
I think your probably right because I saw lots of TT’s and XL’s and XR’s that look mostly stock except for tires and maybe lowered a little. Looks like they run a special tire the thread pattern wraps way down the side of the tires its not just a rode tire or dual sport tire. The pro class bikes where some type of custom frame with mostly crf450 engine’s . I saw a few Rotax and Aprilia engine’s.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Just my opinion, but I'd say that it has more to do with durability of the engines..

Even when they do run CRF450's, they typically detune them a bit.. At least the guys that I know that are running them do. One guy told me he found it to be quite a bit faster when he detuned it, due to the fact that he got too much wheel spin with it setup stock.

As for tires, yes, those are purpose built tires. Used to be that Goodyear was the only one that made them, but they sold their tire line to Dunlop.. You can also get tires from Maxxis now. And they aren't cheap. About $140 a pop..

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:

At the entry level this is true. Many tracks are running classes where you can use mx bikes with very little modification. Some even have a knobby class where you can take your bone stock CRF or YZF or whatever F you happen to own and race it on a flat track. There are even classes for the kids on 50's and 85's.

There seems to be a little resurgence in flat track right now because of these new classes.

The 250 and 450F bikes handle great on a flat track. Lace up a set of 19" wheels with dirttrack tires, lower the front forks a little bit and they handle even better. On a short track or a slick half mile, most of them have too much horsepower like Indy pointed out. The big trick in flat track is setting the bike up for the track. Since there are so many different types of tracks and track surfaces to deal with. A deep cushion track requires a lot of HP and torque whereas a slick or groove track requires traction and not so much HP. This is where the rider comes into play and the riders ability to feel the track and the traction.

Of course, when you get into the Grand National classes, it's a whole different ball game. These guys use 'framers'. Bikes with special built frames usually manufactured from chrome moly tubing with special wheels, special forks and body work. The engines are very expensive to build and maintain and like any other sport at the national level, it's very expensive.

The link that Indy provided is a good place to start. Hos and the guys over at flattrack.com will answer all of your questions and there are local forums you can go on to see what is happening in your area. Tell Hos, Ol'89r said hi.

Good luck and have fun. :cool:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Ol'89r said:
At the entry level this is true. Many tracks are running classes where you can use mx bikes with very little modification. Some even have a knobby class where you can take your bone stock CRF or YZF or whatever F you happen to own and race it on a flat track. There are even classes for the kids on 50's and 85's. :cool:

Thats what was going on at this track, kids on 50cc on up and they also had the knobbie class. My son said he wants to race his 250x in the next one, as is knobbies and all.

Richter415

Jun 23, 2006
This by far my favorite kind of racing to watch. I have only done this on the ice though. One of the top singles riders, Henry Wiles, is from only about 15 minutes from my house and my dad has sold him bikes for years. I am currently taking a Sportster 883 and customeizing it to look like an XR 750. not to thread hijack, but none of you would know where to find a front number plate like what is on Mert Lawwill's street trackers would you?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Richter415 said:
but none of you would know where to find a front number plate like what is on Mert Lawwill's street trackers would you?

You would probably have to custom build one. I doubt Mert would sell one with out including the whole motorcycle as a complete package. You could check on his website but, I don't think it's up yet.

Any good fiberglass or aluminum fabricator should be able to build one for you. The headlight part is just a rectangular sealed beam like those used in dual sport kits. As long as the headlight is DOT legal, you should be ok.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
You could also check with a guy named Steve Storz at Storz Performance in Ventura California. He offers street tracker parts and may offer a headlight. storzperf.com

Wouldn't be very hard to make one.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
89R... why don't *YOU* just make one for him?!?

I would offer to do that Mike but things are very busy in the shop right now. (Thank God for that.) Not sure when I could get on it.

Richter. If your buddy can't help you, PM or email me and I'll see what we can do.

Richter415

Jun 23, 2006
Thank you very much. I already have the Storz rear fender kit, and the supertrapp upswept exhaust which we had to modify from fitting an XR sportster to fitting my 03 XL 883R. I may have to post picture when finished.

Now that Harley is offering the XR 1200 my 883 is going to have a frind to keep it company. I found out that bike was being built and I was first on the list with my dealer.

Top Bottom