tclark2020

Sep 24, 2002
Hope someone can help me?? After a hard rearend hit running an enduro the other day my bike started running bad and then would'nt start. I could finally get some spark and then it would kickback and backfire when trying to start it, and when it did start it wasn't for long. I took it home and pulled the flywheel off (flywheel puller and didn't hit the flywheel) and all the magnets are loose, and one of them is broke in half. Is this somewhat common, and I would assume that this is why it wouldn't run??? Don't see any damage to the stator. It has been hard to get running perfect and has been fouling plugs also before this happened, so I am wondering if the magnets may have been this way before. Any ideas??? Thanks, Travis

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
Broken magnets will cause the timing to fire at random (spark but not timed).

Where the magnet is broken, it added another "N" and "S" pole (north and south) at each end of the break. This will make the trigger pulse hap-hazard, and this could be the problem....???

Sounds like you need a new rotor/flywheel.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If I'm not mistaken Fredette can rebuild the flywheel on early KDXs. Used ones are very hard to come by that aren't in the same condition as yours.

This is a common problem :(

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You don't wanna know what they cost, though. Can you say, 'ouch!'?

Certainly check on used ones from salvage places if you can and want to spend considerably less money.

I've never looked for aftermarket flywheel fixing shops..

Just came back from a few pages of google. Didn't see anything regarding flywheel repair.

Good luck!

tclark2020

Sep 24, 2002
I kinda luck out with my KDX (if the price of a new flywheel falls under that) but I have friends of the family that own a Kawasaki/Suzuki shop and are willing to help me out. They sell me the expensive stuff at their cost ($300 for the flywheel). They are a group of the greatest guys, but always hate to have everything for basically free since that is how they make their living!!! I will also check into getting my old one rebuilt. Hope the bike runs better after this. It was good before, just not tops.

Top Bottom