seancza

Apr 22, 2003
Have a look at the dynoport pipes as well. I had not fit problems with it.

Bill's Pipes makes one for the KDX as well, I think. I know a guy that has one on a CR250, seems to work good.

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
Bushmaster said:
FMF woods gnarly or PC plat.2. Anyone tried em both.
p.s. It's for an 03-220.

I've got the PC Plat. 2 and will be changing to a desert pipe. :bang:
My suggestion is to change your gear ratio to 13/50 or 12/47 (flame away on the 12 tooth suggestion :moon: ) and put on the FMF desert pipe. Make sure you've thrown away or drilled the airbox lid and tossed the snorkle. With this on the 220, you will still have good bottom end but have much better top end. This will extend the gears out more requiring less shifting. If you were running a 200, either of those two you asked about would work well. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. :think:

Later
Robb

Aflica

May 23, 2004
i've had both the Gnarly woods (first) and the desert (now) , had a great fit with the woods and ok but not perfect with the desert. The desert is the pipe to have with a 220 ,IMHO , the difference is dramatic. I was very interested the the Dynoport , but didn't like buying direct , so i went with FMF again....no complaints , but the woods was way to bottom end oriented , and really did take away top end. The 220 has great bottom with the desert anyways....so that my 2 cents worth , hope it helps, BTW i have an 03 220 with jetting changes , airbox drilled , power reeds.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
just installed gnarly woods and powerecore2 on 04 200. top mounting holes didn't line up perfectly. real close though. had to elongate hole slot another 1/8 or 3/16 with air die grinder. as far as performance, wow! also installed boyesen power reeds and rejetted carb to 155 main and 45 pilot. Did everything at once so I really don't know what did the most good. Very noticeable improvement. Looks sweet! :cool: Weight difference on the pipe is 3 lbs 6 oz. and 2 lbs 15 oz. on the silencer for combined weight savings of 6 lbs 5 oz.

Last edited:

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
I haven't had experience with PC pipes...but I will say the FMF Desert for the KDX220, and the FMF Woods for the KDX200 are the best overall power curves....in FMF. Sis has the 220 with a desert, I have a 200 with the woods. Not disappointed.
My understanding is that PC will give you more high rev effect for sure...but I'm ignorant on the low end properties.

Tazmanian

Jan 11, 2005
I have tried both FMF Gnarly pipes the desert and woods both fit perfect. Each adds alot to the power with right jetting. I also have an RB designs air striker carb and Boyesen power reeds with this combination power is awesome. For riding tight trails and lugging around in lower gears I would recommend the Woods pipe.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
We use the standard PC pipe on the KDX, combined with the Carbon Tech low tension carbon fiber reeds. It's a great combination, and the pipe's quality and fit is excellant. With this combo, you will have great power from the bottom all the way to the top end.

bleeb

Aug 9, 2005
Dynoport pics

After scouring pipe info on this site, I talked to Dynoport and ordered a Big Volume pipe. Rich was extremely helpful, and convinced me to try his design. It arrived in the next day! :cool: Fit was perfect, and it took 5 minutes to slap on (I am using the stock silencer for now...). After I leaned it out a bit, the KDX became a new machine, from down low to the (new) top. Up on my mountain the KDX easily pulled 3rd up the washouts, and just jumped with a curl of the wrist. I had a blast in the fields too! When I hammer it hard the stock tires just spin, so I gotta get some 756s or the like to hook up better. When I get my brother up here next week we'll do a side-by-side with the FMF. :fft:

I read in an older thread that there were no pics of a Dynoport pipe on a KDX. Email me and I'll send pics some, because I can't figure out how to get them in here. :bang:

Top Bottom