johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Hi guys,

I just bought a Kdx 220 '03 and I am in the process of making it "crash proof" (pro-taper, safety wires, skid plate, etc). I was told that the forks bottoms are prone to damage because they come down lower that other bikes. Do you have any tricks or tips on how to protect the bottom of the forks? Thanks.

PS: Don't tell me to ride over obtacles instead of besides them...

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I haven't heard of anyone complaining about them getting damaged. It probably is not a problem. However, I'm sure you could rig something on. Maybe a plastic pipe cap or something. Check your local plumbing supply.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by johnkdx220
PS: Don't tell me to ride over obtacles instead of besides them...

I think you already answered your own question. No matter how much crash protection you put on your bike, something else will go wrong. Better to focus on the main issues; case, radiators, chain, and the brakes.

:thumb:

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have a 2002 KDX200 and ride in some very tight rocky terrain and I have a couple of small dents in the bottoms of the forks. It has not been so bad as to prevent me from accessing the clickers, but I think that you have a legitimate concern.

Like Tom Ludolff said, you could just duct tape a PVC pipe cap on there but it would probably look a bit cobby.

But if it works, why not? You could always take it off when you don't need it.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Rad guards are a must! You don't want to be buying one (or two) of them that's for sure. Big $$

The underhang of the conventional forks do indeed get beat up. Considering the force involved, I don't think you'll be making them 'crash-proof'.

Do check out the link noted on the thread at the top of this forum. A new bike needs to be properly prepped...and greasing 'stuff' is a job that, if you don't do it, will cost you more than a number of things you will break, bend, goober or otherwise render useless for its intended purpose.

Cheers!

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
PVC pipe... Humm, I'll try it! For now, I'v installed barkbusters, devol skid plate, I made a pipe guard (a explained on this site), safety wired it, installed a pro-taper handlebar. Wish I had more $$$ for a Devol front and back disk guards. I also made the bike "water proof" as recommended by Eric Gorr. (silicone on the magneto cover, dielectric grease on all connectors, weather strip sealant on the air box, etc...).

Can't wait for the white shi* to melt....

Thanks guys.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I forgot to mention that I don't like the Devol Rad Guads. They look tough but seems to restrict the air flow a bit too much. I installed the overpriced Works Connections braces.

Canyncarvr, look at the Rear Suspension Grease thread for more on this.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by johnkdx220
Wish I had more $$$ for a Devol front and back disk guards. Thanks guys.

You said it. The Devol's are worth every penny(IMO). I've got both.

Only one downside, they use aluminum spacers with their guards, and as you know Aluminum is soft, so it deforms ever so slightly and makes it hard to get the axle out.

I'm going to order some KHI replacements and face them off to the right size.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
You are right about the fork legs getting beat up, my last KDX got to the point that my shop could no longer service them. But this took 5000 miles of very rocky riding and by then it was time for a new KDX. All you can do is hope that Kawasaki updates the KDX by the time you buy your next bike.

Top Bottom