kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Has anyone played with the shim stack in the forks of a 97 or newer 220? I don't want to get the gold valves until I tried adjusting the shim stack myself. Can you give a quick step by step to help a brotha out??

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
What am I missing? I see Andrew posted a response to my question but I open the thread and all I see is my original post?? :think:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I don't see any responses. I've never messed with the shim stacks, but if its any help the 96 and newer 200's and 220's all have the same forks/valving. I was actually very happy with the stock valving on my 200, though the springs were a tad soft.

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, I've addded .40 springs to mine but it's still a bit harsh over stutter bumps and breaking bumps. I could have swore I saw a guy do a write up about a month ago on how he took out a shim and it rode much better and was more compliant. I tried and tried but couldn't seem to find the thread.

hog

Nov 13, 2001
Have you pulled the valve from the fork and looked at it? Does not seem changable to me. I called Fredette and had him build some gold valves. Thats my suggestion.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Its a catridge fork, so its got to have shims/valves:)

You might also try backing the compression damping off and running the oil level a little lower.

good luck

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, I've tried monkeying with the compression settings but would just like a little for control of the small stutter/braking bumps. It's a bit harsh right now. I think I have 7wt oil in it right now. I have the oil level set at 95mm or so from the top and t fork fully compressed. I know the shim stack can be modded "if it goes in, it can come out". I had Feddete re-valve the rear and it works great but now the front is moving me from side to side, the .40 springs sure helped but it still needs a bit of work. I made the mistake of riding an '04 200 EXC and it was sooo much better than the KDX in the handling dept. I guess it will help if I say I'm 185 lbs or so with gear on.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
andrew said:
Mate, I have played around with it - I posted not so long ago. Read my thread here http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=118093

Hope you get some info from it - if you have any questions just post again and I'll be glad to help..

Regards
Andrew

Can you all not see my response above? I have quoted it here, just tried the link to my original post and it works OK for me! Have another go, if it doesn't work I'll repost all my original thread.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Porter

Jan 2, 2001
Hi. Try setting your spring load down to 5mm(or less) of preload by cutting down the spacers. Run your oil level at 105mm or so of 5WT oil. Back off your clickers until the front end feels abit loose directionally and then go up one click. For woods riding and maybe up one more click for fireroads. Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Bottom