scot w.

Feb 3, 2008
I went to start the bike today cause it was nice out.

1) pulled up the choke - took three kicks but started.
2) Let warm up alittle moving the choke lever up and down to keep the rpm's from reving like crazy.
3) Got on it pushed the choke off, made it 100' then had to pull it up again, I made it to the end of the street and it died and would not start back.
4) took the plug out and it was SOAKED WITH GAS!
5) Cleaned the plug and re-installed it and NO CHOKE it still wouldn't start- Tried too! but never ran.
6) Took plug back out and it was SOAKED again and I didn't use the choke either.

What do I need to do?

scot w.

Feb 3, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Clean the carb and replace the float valve.
This is the first time it's done that, Do you think that I might have just fouled out the plug by not letting it warm up properly and riding with the choke on? Bike ran great all the other times.

I did notice one thing : The factory plug is supposed to be a NGK BR10EG and the one in it is a NGK BR9EG I don't know if the previous owner went with that plug because the bike has the V-Force reeds or what.

06KX100

Feb 9, 2008
its just a hotter plug, and im pretty certain..actually im positive that has nothing to do with a gas soaked plug...alot of people go down to like 9 or 8 heat plugs

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
06KX100 is rigth
its just a tab hotter plug
But in your case sound like float valve or float or fuel is to high so it not working rigth so there for the motor gets way much fuel which know as carb flooding which you should seeing from over flow tube if not plug up.

scot w.

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks for the info guys! I'll try those ideas in the next week. and I'm going to double check to see where the Jet Needle is set at and go from there.

Scot W.

scot w.

Feb 3, 2008
someone just mentioned that I should run a BR10EV plug in it. He said he can't remember who makes it but he said it was a irridium or something. But the old NGK's were junk and when he made the switch it was night and day.

Has anyone heard of this plug? And who makes it?

The owners manual say's standard is a - BR10EG by NGK

I'm really getting confused.

After talking to him he said the Honda CR85R is the hardest bike to ride out of the 85's due to the power valve - (either it's on or it's not) I just bought this bike for my 11yr old son to learn on and I don't want him to get scared and discouraged on it. If anyone knows of things I can do to it so it's not like a light switch please let me know or i'll have to get rid of it and get something else more rider freindly.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
BR10EV is an NGK plug..

I personally wouldn't bother with it on that bike (they're too expensive to be honest), they run fine with the EG or ES plug

Does that bike have a Power Valve? If it doesn't, he's right. My YZ85 is a lightswitch.

You can tone them down a bit with a set of dual stage reeds and a flywheel weight.

The best bet though, is just to learn how to ride that bike in the power all the time. Once you get used to the hit, it's not so bad. It's learning what the engine sounds like when it's about to hit that's key. Once you get that you can be ready for the hit, and not have it put you on your a$$.

It will certainly make a better rider out of you.

scot w.

Feb 3, 2008
How much should the compresion on this CR85R be if it's good? because I have a compresion tester and would like to test it but I have no idea what is Ideal.

Who would you recomend for the dual stage reeds?

Scot W.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
scot w. said:
How much should the compresion on this CR85R be if it's good? because I have a compresion tester and would like to test it but I have no idea what is Ideal.

Who would you recomend for the dual stage reeds?

Scot W.

Not sure about the compression.. But I have Boyesen Pro Series in two bikes, and love them.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You can not have both, sorry. Good reeds mean a better punch. Fiberglass reeds hit softer and last longer. What Indy said hits the mark, that is the way these little bikes are. I would bet he never rode a kx 60, they are worse. I had one son scared to death of the powerband and one who wasn't. Compression numbers are very deceptive, unless you monitor it regularly, and have a manual.

Top Bottom