motorhead434

May 28, 2003
How about some feedback for mr.ward,just wondering if anyone else experienced the same things I did?Dont take me wrong gerhard,My family and I enjoy your dads race each year,and I always enjoy myself on the course,but your scoring SUCKS and the cheaters(course cutters)were at an all time worse.I'd hoped you learned more from jay.h.I will give you this-the lappers were much better this year due to lengthened course(how long was it?)once again woudnt it be easier to score like all the other clubs that dont have so many scoring fiasco's? d.morgan

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
I'm with Motohead on this one, no direspect Wardy and I know that you know you have serious scoring issues, but a 2hr wait for results every race really discourages people from coming back.
Course was fun but poorly marked in some areas, very confusing and there was ALOT of serious
cutting going on.

Just some constructive criticism.
Thanks
Greg

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Scoring was better then before, but not where it needs to be. Three classes had to be changed. The "paper" fender sheets was a good thing actually, it prooved we don't need them. I didn't know patty ran out til some one came to me with it and as the day went on it wasn't an issue. I think fender sheets are history. At least we will try it that way in July.
Results are posted with the mandatory 30min wait (protest time). Not many do this, but it is an ama rule that i will abide by.

Here is the way the big bike day went from what our time schedule shows.

Race started 20 minutes late. (watering start and track) 12:50pm normal start time 12:30

Race leader was checkered at 2:24. Course was then cleared and last rider scored at 3:08!

First scores were posted at 3:30 and the ones that had scoring snafus were fixed and then add the 30min protest time would put those classes out there. But not sure 2 hours for everyone is quite correct? But some may have had to wait in those classes? Here is the deal, 2 hours after the 3:08 time I was picking up garbage in the pits and the drags finished like ten to five?

Open B class we missed a rider at the barrels, who had the wrong number on his bike and not sure why. (999) instead of a 200 number. Found his missed lap on the check point sheets.

A classe we had Jeff and Steve "switched" for 2nd and 3rd. Issue was 420 and 120 was called out wrong.

40 B we missed a lap for Dave Blacklaw. Found it on the check point sheet

Those are the scoring mistakes that we fixed and had problems with, of course one mistake in any class holds up the whole class. not to mention changes the whole finishing order.

Our goal is no mistakes of course and we work hard to make it that way.

"course poorly marked in some areas", Greg, I personally did the course tape and arrows follow up. I have a guy that lays it out then we go behind and tape and place arrows in needed spots. when i had a point where riders were getting off line, it was because they blew through the tape and didn't watch the arrows. above the MX track was our biggest issue, and it clearly was dust and not paying attention there I put up tape and stakes all day.....

Bad thing about "cutting" is how do you know if a guy truely is being a cheat or is off track? I am going to be more aggressive on this issue, you guys bust your butts out there for the fun of racing and the 'beat the other guy racing attitude" I understand this well, I HATE cheaters........they will be dealt with.

We had like 5 guys with 4 min and 6 min laps, LOL you didn't see them scored at all. We did catch that.

Darren you have known me a long time also I hope both of you know that you can come to me directly anytime and offer advice, or bust my butt no matter what it's about. Here on the post board is cool to it is a way to get input from all the riders.

we (my group) are having an ongoing discussion this week again on how to improve our event and make it the best.

thanks

wardy

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Wardy,
I've ran quite a few races at your place over the last 3 years and have really enjoyed them
I know you guys do work hard to get things right and I believe you run a good operation, I am in no way trying to slam you.
I run little B, We were able to pick up our plaques at 4:13, My bad on the 2 hr comment and I apologize.It was close to 1.5 - 2 hrs from when I came in. Much of the delay were due to a few issues in which you mentioned above.
I agree that the ribbons had been "blown through" in quite a few areas like you said, above the MX track and then also on the bottom below the starting area, it was pretty confusing and irritating to look over and see someone blast through an area while you are following the trail. A hotline is a hotline if it's within the AMA 's 25ft limit but anything other than that is cheating and I'm with you on that, there is nothing to be gained by it and it proves nothing. It sucks.
I don't think Motorhead and I were the only 2 that made these observations, I heard quite a few of the same comments made.

I don't really have any good suggestions , I think with the amount of quad trails due to your place being a riding park, adds to the confusion when someone gets off course.
i'm all for the new ideas to make scoring easier and more accurate, I hoipe things get ironed out.
I ran a race ealier this year in Kahoka MO (MCHS race) they used transponders taped underneath your helmet visor and then ran us under a "reader" . Information was was good , and done quickly.(at least at this race)
On their website they had lap times posted for every rider just a few days later.
I'm sure this system is big $, but it worked real well

Wardy,
It is obvious that you bust you ass getting things ready and do truely want to make things as smooth as possible.
Again, Just some observations from myself , and I know that you do appreciate feedback and we appreciate the fact that you are willing to listen.Good luck at your next event, I'm sure you'll get things worked out,

Greg

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
munch said:
I ran a race ealier this year in Kahoka MO (MCHS race) they used transponders taped underneath your helmet visor and then ran us under a "reader" . Information was was good , and done quickly.(at least at this race)
On their website they had lap times posted for every rider just a few days later.
I'm sure this system is big $, but it worked real well

The RFID system is expensive, but it is outstanding and was made possible in the MHSC for two reasons - a substantial donation by one of the clubs that hosted races for many years, and the way the MHSC series is organized. Having 30-some races each year, some on the same day, just doesn't make the RFID system feasible. This is just my personal opinion, but D-17 could do itself a big favor by cutting down the series to a more manageable number of events (15 or so) and focusing on quality over quantity. It might be nice that every club that wants to host a hare scramble gets a spot on the D-17 schedule, but I'd say give 15 races to the clubs that have the best courses. In my mind those are the ones that can put together 5-10 mile loops. With that, rider participation is likely to increase for those events, which adds to the competitiveness of the series, improves the financial return to the clubs and landowners, and increases series sponsorship opportunities. I'll be honest - racing a 3-mile hare scramble course is just a tune-up race for me, and one that doesn't happen very often.

Just my 2 cents.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Actually the system that we use is or could be set up with scanners or transponders. The cost is the main deal, but here in d-17 things are not the same as in many areas of the country. We have alot of promoters, ( i am one) and d-17 has always ran an "open" door policy when it comes to hosting events. D-17 Ranking number at the top in AMA events and participation. The riders get to choose where they go, have a selection, and thier participation detemines who has a successful race or buiness.
Cutting down series isn't what AMA or any district is supposed to be doing, In fact the reason we are out here is to promote the sport and build it. More events, more riders. It is a proven deal here. Watch as AMA starts in that direction. Not an area where one or two powerful promoters or clubs run the whole show. Who would be the judge on "which" course's are the best or who is to be "granted" a race? Thats not free enterprise. An simply will not work if "growth" is to part of this picture.

Our race, may not be the "pureist" Hare scramble event, even though our 3 mile race is small, you won't see 4th gear. Sunday was dusty and that added to the confusion when tape and markers got knocked down. But I think the riders that race our events get a good work out and have some challenges to deal with, I am not a HS racer by trade but can see the tired faces and am pretty sure they are tired.
Hell in a perfect world we would love to have the additional property to use, and tried our darnest to get it, but at 10k and acre around here it's impossible. We just have to do the best we can with what we have.

wardy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom