xERICx

Jan 31, 2003
here's what happened...

My front brake hose was leaking so I ordered a new one (its a '99 KTM 125sx). So I replace the hose and fill the master cylinder up with brake fluid. Next I try bleeding the brakes with the bleeder screw on the caliper. Pulling on the front brake lever a few times and so brake fluid comes out of the bleeder screw. The problem is there are no brakes!!!! None at all. Not even mushy. What could be wrong???

Hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated. There is a big race this weekend and I need my front brake.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Be sure both banjo bolts are tightened /torqued to spec. (Important!) and keep bleeding them. You probably have tons of air bubbles in them. You may need to back feed them from the bottom with a hypo needle and force all the air out the top.

Joe-dick

Apr 21, 2002
You'll need to back up a little. You've probably got air in the master cylinder or trapped in an "uphill" part of the hydraulic system. First try pulling the hose back off and bleeding the master seperately with your finger as a one-way valve over the outlet port until you get solid fluid streams when you pull the lever. Sometimes loosening the master to tilt it to different angles helps. Now reconnect the hose (quickly so as not to allow any more air than necessary into the system) and bleed at the bottom end of the hose, reconnect quickly again to the caliper and remove the bleeder screw to use the finger trick on the caliper. The reason you're using your finger instead of the bleeder screw is so you can squeeze fluid thru a little faster to flush out little air bubbles. It also helps here to move the forks side to side change the angle of the caliper like you did with the master. Also tapping the hose and caliper with a screwdriver handle can dislodge tiny air pockets stuck inside the system. Now reinstall the bleeder screw and bleed a squirt or two to make sure no air is stuck under the screw and you should be golden.
This procedure will use a little more fluid and make a mess on the garage floor but it always works for me.

Joe-dick

Top Bottom