BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I've read several posts related to using the XR400 springs. Most posts state the use of the .40kg or the .38kg springs.
My question is:
which would be better for my riding style or more importantly ,,,my weight?
170lbs with out gear
mostly wood/trails novice to intermediate rider..

Thanks
Joe

jason

Nov 9, 2000
Go with the .40kg. They will help in the bigger hits and whoops. You will also be able to back off the compression dampening to make it more plush on the roots and rocks.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The XR spring isn't .38.

re: 'which would be better for ...style..weight?'

Both are a factor. An opinion based on what I found in my spring search: 170#/intermediate is going to be on the .38 side. 170#/intermediate++ is going to be on the .40 side.

I realize I'm harping on a personal opinion, here...but the XR spring is much more forgiving (tactile) that the oem 470mm spring, so the slightly stiffer spring on the ++ side of my guess would work just fine for 'ya!

The difference in my bike between the 470mm/.40 and the 530mm/.40 was considerable. The aftermarket (eibach) OEM length springs..quite frankly...stanketh most oderiferously.

Some (Braahp for example) disagree. He's happier with the 470mm spring.

I've read a good number of posts from riders that LIKE the XR springs quite a lot.

BTW..they must be XR springs FROM honda...not from an aftermarket outfit FOR a honda.

Buy 'em. You'll love 'em! (10mm preload works great!)

IMO and all that hullaballooo ;)

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
As I've read,,,,Honda orginals are the way to go..
Here's what I've seen on another post.
Xr600 93-00 : .41
Xr600 85-92 : .42
Xr650L 93-02: .44
Xr400 00-02 : .41
Xr400 96-99 : .38
Now if you have the older KDX200s like the 93-94s with the 41mm forks, you can use the springs from the Xr250s. Same diameter forks.
Xr250 96-02 : .35
Xr250 90-94 : .40
Xr250 86-89 : .38

Guess I'll try the .38 and expand from there.I'm more so on the novice side of things to be honest. Jumping large is not in the books for me just yet.
thnanks
Joe

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
And yet still I am always open to opinion and advice.
If the .40 is more recommended....well that's the path I'll choose..
Personal preference yes,,,but I don't have enough experience to make up my own mind..All I know is the front is way too weak.
I will set up the rear sag this winter aswell..most important.
It's close now but I'll set it again..
Joe

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Part of the confusion over the honda springs is different sources saying different things. RaceTech says the 00-02 400 honda is .40..not .41. But they list the '96-99 400 to be .38 as you said. I've been told by a local tuner that they are .39 (that's why I said 'they aren't .38s')

Doubt that .01 makes any difference to most riders.

The .40s would give you some room to 'grow'. And, as I said, they are plenty smooth.

The 530mm length AND the hotwound construction are the best part.
.40 or .39 or .38 ......either of them is going to be a huge improvement over the stock setup.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Ah ha,,,I see yet and yet somehow I'm still confused> "Not exactly a difficult thing to accomplish.."

So in simplest terms,,what year of XR400 should I be looking for? "sorry but I really missed out on the read between the lines thing in school?

Agreed that .01 won't be noticable and any rate due to the increased length and the hotwound build will out preform the stockers... I just don't want to be beaten on the trails with too 'stiff' a spring because of my non-aggressive riding and middle-weight poundage.

All the best
Joe

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
MY choice for you (yes, that is an oxymoron) would be the '00-02 XR400 spring. I say .40 (poh-tay-tow), you say .41 (poh-tah-tow). ;)

They will NOT beat you to death. The increased length also increases the linearity of the spring. Keep the preload to something realistic (imo 10mm) and it will work fine.

Again, that is based on what I found to be true of the honda spring. I think you'll love 'em.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
I'm also considering the Honda springs, and am also confused. Seems like alot of people who set out to "improve" the kdx suspension are aiming to set it up to be motocross capable, I just want it to perform better in the woods and don't know enough about it to be sure I'm doing that. I ride some rough stuff, almost trials style, but like to zip along pretty fast where I can, seldom getting more than 3' off the ground(actually thats BIG air for me). Are the XR springs the way to go or should i go with freddette? Are either one going to make my bike less "nimble" in the tight stuff? HELP!!!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Seems like alot of people who set out to "improve" the kdx suspension are aiming to set it up to be motocross capable

That wasn't my aim. I might be on a track someday just for something to do but have no interest whatsoever in making my bike an MX wannabee.

I tried the honda springs on the advice of a local suspension tuner. Yeah..he's orange..but that doesn't mean he HAS to be stoopid! ;) After three other sets of oem replacement eibach springs (470mm) didn't work satisfactorily, I tried the honda springs. Sold!!

It will retain the 'woods handling' qualities you bought it for...it will just be improved a whole lot.

This will get me flamed for sure....but here goes anyway.......

Fredette does not recommend the XR springs...unless he's changed his mind of late.

I talked to fredette about the XR springs before I got them (meaning he DID talk about them then). His point of view of why a long steel tube (the oem spacer) in the fork where a spring is supposed to be is a good thing didn't work for me. I understood what he said (had to do with the increased time a motion event requires to reach the other end of a longer spring), but didn't consider it an issue. Maybe it's a valid argument for a world-class kdxer like mr. fredette.

That's not me.

Last I heard, mr. fredette didn't like the RB carb, either. 'Too picky to jet' I think he said.

I don't agree with him on that, either. But then, I did mess with it for a couple of years.........

Just because he's forgotten more than I'll ever know....has more experience in the sport than prolly 20-30 of me.....yanno what?

I can still disagree.

I had the advantage of side by side comparison of two otherwise identically modified kdxs, one with XR springs, one with eibach oem replacements. In the woods.

The choice was obvious.

Obviously it wasn't braahps choice. And if that suits him, it tickles me! ;)

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
So there it is.....
Sounds like the .40 are my spec..
Thanks and I'll post the results...ahh ,,,when the snow goes...

Joe

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I guess I saw that somewhere else. It seems like it's personal preferance more than anything else. I just got some xr springs (.38), so I'll let ya'll know what I think about em' once I get them installed!

Sorry about the mis-information concerning fredette's recomendation.

Top Bottom