tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
This is what i get for looking in the 06 RM85 Suzuki manual...

Book says to mix gas:oil ratio in a 30:1 ratio. Then it provides a table that says 1-gal gas mixed with 5.4-oz oil - according to my math skills this is a 23.7:1 ratio

For 30:1 using my math skills (see footnote *) i come up with a mixture of 1-gal gas mixed with ~4.26-oz oil.

This is of course based on US measure of 1-gal = 128-fluid ounces. Which makes sense since I purchased the bike new in the USA from a dealer and it is a USA model (far as i can tell...)

ahh - lets try the math again using the British measurements. 1-gal (Brit) contains 8-pints (Brit) and each Brit pint contains 20-Brit fluid oz. This means 160-Brit fluid oz per gallon which gives a mixture of ~30:1 with 1-Brit gallon mixed with 5.4-Brit fluid oz. Exactly as the manual states (less the correct units designation)

I initially caught the error because my Ratio-Rite measure has USA based units for both gal and oz and it matched my 4.2-oz oil calculation.

Looks like the metric ratio in the manual is correct at 5-liter gas to 166-ml oil.

Wonder how many kids out there are running these things with too much oil in the fuel? How many plugs have you used today?

Of course I blame this entire mess on the Brits as well the UN for their metric system conspiracy... (we all know that the M16 in .223 hits harder than the 5.56mm version they want us to use) If everyone would just learn to speak English and to follow our lead - the world would be a much better place. :)

* note that i did briefly consider that Japan's math scores are much higher than those in the USA. although, our kids tend to think they do much better until the tests are scored - at least our kids "feel good" (sorry, a educator/geek rant).

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
your probably right lol -factory isnt the greatest you know
they are preset for everyone ,and they sure as hell are not perfect

Top Bottom