Funky Chicken National Hare Scramble July 6-7

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Round 5 of the AMA National Hare Scramble Series will be in Elkton,Oregon again. Go to www.etra.net for the flyer and entry, I am the contact on the entry so direct your questions to my email or phone.
ETRA has put hundreds of hours into new trail this year and we will run in the opposite direction as last year. That means that the 100mph downhill will be the 100mph hillclimb with a road jump at the top! The loop is about 12 miles long but will take a full 30-minutes for the pros, it's pretty tight in some spots. Lots of hills, a huge ISDE-style grass track again, great new singletrack and, of course, no bikes have ridden here since last year! Well, maybe I'VE ridden here a few times, hee hee hee. :scream:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Any time AKCplumb, the road into the pit area is about three miles off hwy 138, you can show up whenever. If you arrive really late you will need to sign waivers and give is parking moola in the morning. No worries. I just got done with another new woods section, it's sooooo bitchen. Look me up when you get there, ask for Adam.

AKCPlumb

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 3, 2002
Adam:
I will look you up, been waiting all year for this event.
As my entry is now in all I can say to those who didn't go last year and haven't made plans for this year are missing one of the best events on the west coast. :cool: Qualifer type grass track, tight enduro trails through the trees and sections of 2 track for the speed junkies and the 100mph downhill (this year will be an uphill). If you can't find something in this event that you like to ride you must be working the pits. The club and landowner are great.

AKCPlumb

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 3, 2002
Last year I post entered and had called the club the week prior and they said there was no problem. I think this was the 1st year for this event at least as a National and was well recieved by those attending. So I would think that the numbers would go up for this year, but it is on the weekend of the 4th so that may stop some. My concern came from that here in District 36 we are seeing an extremly high number of entries compared to the last 5 years and are hitting the rider limits allowed. If Adam or someone from the club dosen't respond give them a call and see what the pre-entry numbers are & go from there.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi guys, Adam here, race director and resident loony. I would highly suggest pre-entering this year. We really don't want to turn anyone away but if the pre-entry numbers get high we will consider a cut-off. This is private property and we want to keep it in good condition. By the way, I just got back from the ranch, doing hotlaps, the course is absolutely bitchen. All kinds of different terrain, should be fun and hard at the same time. Not for the squeemish either, a real off-road race. The pre-entry numbers are 150 a day and we hit it right on the money last year, this year will have a bigger turnout, I'm sure. Thanks for the interest fellas.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Two years ago we held it on June 16th, it rained. It was extremely slippery and did a lot of damage to the beautiful ranch, which operates year-round as a guest and guide service for other functions. The ruts in the grass sections and wooded trails were evident throughout the busy summer season. Three years ago we held it in September and it was 95 degrees by the end of the race. Also, scheduling is difficult due to conflicts with GNCC,WORCS and local races. The Fourth of July weekend allows people from other states to get there early, take time off and make a mini-vacation out of it. Also, the fact that rain is still a possibilty in early July (especailly on holidays in Oregon for some reason) remains. I'm looking into getting a water truck or trailer for the grass track start to make it a little safer. Last year it rained two days before the event, the Saturday race was perfect but by Sunday it had dried out. Last weekend I rode the course and it was already dusty, it all depends on Mom Nature! Thanks for the compliments and let me know what I can do to make it even better. See you there!

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
Dust? I didn't know there was any dust in the Willamette valley? If you think its dusty over there you should come over to central Oregon and run the China Hat races.
Besides, like Adam said, its the forth of July in Oregon its sure to rain at least one day.
It should be an great event, as always! ETRA does a exellent job!

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
A very fun race. I was there in 2000, even though it was ridiculously slippery, I still had a great time. The 100mph downhill must be a blast to come back up!

My mom's great uncle (I guess that'd be my great-great uncle?) owns the Big K....wonder if I could sneak a ride there during the off-season. :D

offroadracer

Jul 16, 2000
i have rode in bend. yes it is dusty your right. i was in right next to Chuck Woodford when Garrahan hit him in the second turn last year it was almost me that got hit. you could only see about a foot in front of you. i'm just scared of what i can't see. and i don't want a trick broken leg like chuck had. But any way i do love the event i just was curiuos as to why the event wasn't earlier in the year. now i know,thanks

Oct 10, 2000
WAAHHHOOO!!!!! Just got the green light from my wife, I'll be flying in an the 6th and racing on the 7th. A buddy of mine is letting me barrow his bike for Sunday (thanks pal).
One problem: endoquest, I didn't pre-register as I didn't know if it would work out. Is there still away I can secure a spot? C-Card or something? Let me know, thanks.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Wheelie4, although pre-entry is closed as of yesterday, we WILL be taking post entries on race weekend, especially if you're coming from the hoosier state. If you can get there early, do it. We are assigning numbers to ALL riders, no exceptions, and will be selling numbers. You're going to do backflips when you see this place.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
CAN'T WAIT!! I'm taking my camera in the hopes of getting some awesome action shots. See you guys there.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
BikeDestroyer, the elevation is only 800 feet. The good news is that we will be using alot of that 800 feet!
dirty~d~, make sure you-know-who gets there in one piece, he's a trouble magnet, anything that can go wrong will go wrong! Hee hee

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Oh man! How did I get stuck baby-sitting Mr. Murphy's Law? :ugg: ...

Oh yeh, now I remember... his cooking. ;) Not to worry about... uh, yeah, that guy. We'll be there on Friday and in one piece... I should clarify that... I'LL be there in one piece. :)

Last edited:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hey everybody, I just finished the road jump at the top of the 100mph hillclimb with the landowners' D7 Caterpillar. It is soooooo beeeotchin! Very user friendly (if you're in third gear) with an uphill landing, there will be a roll over option to the right of the jump if you get the heebeejeebees. I'm working on getting a water truck for the grass track and jump, it might be dusty. I've also just added a new section that eliminates an old road, replaces it with a nice little hillclimb in the woods with two or three different lines, oooohhhhh!

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
WoooHoooo,

Hey buds its now offical, i`m in! :aj:
I found a suc........I mean a fellow racer to come up with me. :p

So looks like the bunster and Unit74 will arrive sometime Fri.
But no thanks to dirty~d~, guess I gotta share a tent with a rough tough marine witha bad attitude! :scream: Gonna have to watch the :moon: or it will be :uh:

mxbundy

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hey garyb, wazzzup?
Tire choice is a toss up right now, all of the grass track and exposed dirt is hard right now but if we get rain, well, you know about that. I guess Michelin S12s would be the best, there still aren't any rocks on the course, just rough ground.
You're very correct about the girlfriend, the one I've got now is ok but the '03 models won't be here til September!
Great news Bundy and Unit, you will enjoy.

Top Bottom