kdx200mx17

Aug 30, 2005
i jsut put a new clutch on my kdx and put the new gasket on and the case back on, tightened the bolts down, put oil in and a little bit of oil is leaking out of the bottom of the case. should I use some kind of selaer to fix this problem?

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
First try loosening all the bolts a bit and retorquing them (the torque sepc is pretty low). If that does not work take it back apart, get a new gasket and spray it with some coppercoat spray RTV, reassemble, torque gently.

kdx200mx17

Aug 30, 2005
well, i used some sealer, it worked but the bottom was barely dripping oil very slowly. tightened it a little too much,and now part of the case is cracked about 2" long,I know i need a new gasket now, but am not speniding $200 on a new cover. do I have any options, should I have my shop teacher tig it or would jb weld work good?

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
hve your teacher tig weld it, these bolts require minimal torque, snug is roughly 15-20 lbs of torque

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I cracked the engine case and clutch cover on my XR 250 when it fell off the trailer. The clutch cover was like $120, so I went ahead and replaced it. The engine case was another story. VERY expensive with parts and labor. So, I had a welder weld the piece back on. It was aluminum, so it took a really good welder, but it worked out just fine. He only charged $50. I tried to JB Weld the clutch cover just for fun, and it seemed to work pretty well. I love JB Weld, but I'm not sure that I would trust it on this vital a piece of equipment. I always use the blue RTV sealant and it works great! Good luck!

kdx200mx17

Aug 30, 2005
well, i tig welded it and holds up real good.just need a new gasket, I was thinking, would the permatex gasket maker be a better option then getting a whole new gasket?

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I like to use both the factory gasket and the RTV sealant. By doing that, you will avoid what has already happened to you. Again, lots of dirt and water in that area and I don't want that crap in my engine. Better safe than sorry. :aj:

Top Bottom