tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
My KDX 200 04,goes through all the visable oil ( and then some ) in the oil gauge window after only 30 miles of hare scramble type riding. Easley half a cup or more Id say. The bike dosnt leek,never has.Also I thought the tranny oil turned a dirty gray shortly after riding. I took out the clutch basket and plan on replacing it and all its friction plates as one was broke. The plug is not really to bad at all,the bike screams but
the clutch has been chattery in first while holdig in the clutch
Where is the oil going? Please help. thanks. :(

bad96z71

Feb 25, 2006
Is your bike smoking more than normal. its possible for the crank case to be letting oil in the the cylinder. burning it up. blowing sludge out the pipe maybe.

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Yes at idle it smokes a lot more than us it used to, so much that some one pulled up and yelled " main seal dude", but when on the pipe, im told it dosnt really smoke to much. top end was redone maybe one year ago or so by dealer ( mistake ). At the same time they also did the clutch, and two rides later the nut holding the clutch basket on nearlly came off after two or three rides. It never felt right even after they fixed that. Im doin it myself from now on...with the help of this forum..thanks,..Im listenen..

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
oh man,,,the seasons just revin up. Looks like I got work to do. Thanks. Ill keep checkin back for more info while I talley up a parts list.

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
After looking at the parts diagram.. can I get to that seal by simply removing the bearing wich seams to be held in place by two screws or must I tear down everything. Please tell me this is so!. The bearing behind the clutch basket right?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
tom87b said:
The bearing behind the clutch basket right?
No. That is the (transmission) mainshaft seal.
You want the crankshaft seal, in the crankcase/in front of the gearbox cases.

Are you sure you are checking the gearbox oil correctly??
The manual says to idle the engine for 5 minutes, without reving. Shut it off, let it sit for 3 minutes, then check the sight glass. DON'T CHECK IT ON THE SIDESTAND, THE BIKE MUST BE PERPENDICULAR.
If you had just filled a drained gearbox to top of sight glass, then ridden it, then checked the glass, it will show low. Fill it up, then check the level after the next ride using the above method. You might be pleasantly surprised.

If the sight glass has been showing low after every ride and refill, then you are either losing gearbox lub out the countershaft seal (is your chain always oily, even if you don't lube it?) or it's being pulled into the crankcase (through a bad crankshaft seal) and burned.

Mud

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Yes ! definitly a main crank seal, or counter shaft seal, or even the shifter shaft seal. If the bottom end hasn't been done in awhile, it might be time for crank bearings too. Feel the crank for play by grabbing it and trying to move it up and down. There shouldn't be any play.

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Well, its gotta be the main right seal. Mud, Glad, and Bad, you guys are right,no doubt with the symptoms the bike is having. After spending nearlly $400.00 in dealership labour to do all this one year ago (lower end,top end,and clutch) I feel I can do this as good as them,I think. Can I down load step by step this proceedure or should I get a manual? Is this a bad idea? I want to start right away by at least removing the engin today and maybe both side covers. What other parts should I replace while in there? rings,rist pin,ect?. I dont even know how to split the case, or what special tools I need, but I can learn. Thanks again. Feel free to tell me Im crazy. Let me know.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
You MUST have the information that the factory service manual for your year will have, if not to dis-assemble the engine, then certainly to measure wear and re-assemble the components properly.
Don't be afraid to tackle it, if you have the tools....even the best mechanics in the business started somewhere. ;)

Mud

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Im still concidering it. I thought I saw three special tools or so. Ill price them, and also study the service manual as you say mud. I suppose it could be done. It would be good to know how to due this, as im sure it will need it all again sometime the way I beat this thing. Killer machine when running right though. Thanks

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
They're not too hard to do, but if you plan to split the case there are some special tools needed for the job. You'll need to buy a crancase splitting tool, and a crankshaft removal and installation tool. It can be done without these tools if you use physics and say a few choice four letter words. Just be careful not to break the cases, or damage or knock the crank out of true. A heat gun and a freezer can be your best friend for this job. Watch out for small parts, don't mix up the shim washers. Good luck and take your time !!!!!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
well sounds good buys but- it might be A center case gasket gone bad!,yes this happens , especially since kawis mostly use liquid crapp!, good luck

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
A quick update. You guys deserve it. If you want something like this done right, you gotta do it your self. I actually tried to take it to another dealer and was screwed with half ass work on the clutch and they said there was no problem with my engine! This thing smoked so bad, hell it burned 32 oz of 10-40 every 120 miles. Anyway,with a little help,the case is split. The main seals looked good but the bearings had alot of play in them. We are thinking the crank had enough play to open up a gap in the seal as it moved up and down. Still gonna do a vacume test when the new parts are installed. Also sent out the cylinder to Eric Gorrs for a big bore kit 225. Plus replacing many worn parts. Am I gonna be pleased with this big bore upgrade? Some one let me know..... Im really glad I did this myself,by the way. Thanks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom