franco

Feb 15, 2002
Just got my ’01 200 back from a top end rebuild. The Kawasaki mechanic didn’t ride it after repair. He only fired it up. The engine feels great and fires on one kick, but the first time I put it into gear, it slipped out of 2nd into neutral a couple of times. Then I had trouble getting it into 3rd. Now it is stuck in 2nd and 3rd only. I can’t get it to shift to 1st or neutral. The clutch seemed fine before I took it in.

I’m taking it back to the shop next week, but wanted to throw this out there to see what kind of response I would get. Maybe I will learn something and be able to have some kind of idea when the technician tells me what’s up.

I am mechanically naïve and don’t know jack when it comes to dirt bike mechanics, so please give it to me in layman’s terms. I just want to ride my bike. :ugg:

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Those repairs shouldn't have done a thing to your gears or clutch! Check to make sure you have oil in your tranny... you know, the plug by the kick starter.

franco

Feb 15, 2002
The mechanic actually replaced the gear oil, for whatever reason, when he did the engine work. It didn't need it cause I had recently done that myself. Either way it has plenty of oil... thanks for the little window gauge.

I was curious if something could had dropped down in the trans. It feels like something is blocking the shift pedal from clicking to the next gear, like it is jammed. Like I mentioned originally, it only shifts between 2nd and 3rd. It's not slipping from first - it won't even click down passed 2nd at all - like its being blocked.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
The only time my bike stuck in gear, the friction discs in the clutch were shattered. I don't think this is the case here. You have to go back to the shop and tell them you want it back the way you brought it to them, and Quickly. Speak to the manager and don't take any crap. If it sounds like crap politely tell him/her so.

Good Luck,

Chief

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Right after a top end eh? :think: Hmm Have a look at this link and see if you think this could be the problem- http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/kipshaft.html . Could be the end of the KIOPS shaft is stuck in the transmission or ? I'm sure a professional mechanic would know better but you never know. Someone with little Kawasaki experience might not know better.

Hope this helps,

David

louis

Sep 2, 2002
I feel Dave is on the right track.Failure to acknowledge the infamous left hand thread nut could break off the pin on the bottom end of the KIPS shaft. The pin could find its way into the trans, this may be why you got an oil change. This all sounds very fishy.
Go to the dealer and demand to know what took place. You could also remove the round slotted cover on the left side of the head and see if the KIPS shaft rotates with high RPM. Good luck. Let us know.

dave t

May 22, 2004
i have a ke 1oo that was stuck in 3rd when i got it-there was a small spring broken on the linkage beside the clutch.it was real obvious and real easy to fix(i cut down the spring for the brake lite switch, worked great)

Top Bottom