Getting a new ride - need adivce on pricing...

bparker

Sep 28, 2002
New member here,
I am ready to buy a new bike or two for my woman and I - and havent bought a new "retail" bike ever. But sine I am probably going to buy two of them and interest rates are gravy - I have decided to take the plunge and get two virgins.
Throught my life I have always bought used cause I was a poor kid.. and I havent riden in about 6 years... so I am SURE that I am in for a huge surprise when it comes to the power of these new beefy light weight 4 strokers..
Now, is it typical to pay "full MSRP"?? Or do dealers haggle? If so how much as in % off MSRP?
I am looking at buying a new :worship: YZF450 & a 660 Raptor...

Please let me know if paying MSRP is a rip or normal as no one likes getting bent over...
Thanks for your advice,

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
bparker -

i know this isn't helpful, but the degree to which retailers will haggle depends. for example, if the retailer has no trouble moving the bikes you are looking at, more than likely you will pay MSRP+. but sometimes through some fluke a retailer may have just the bike you want and may have had that bike for months. in that case you will probably pay something very close to MSRP or lower.

for example, the honda dealers around here sell every dirt bike and quad they get before they take shipment of it, or shortly there after. the suzuki dealers on the other hand will almost always bargain.

just depends. the hot new four strokes are just that, hot and new. the chances of not paying full pop are not good.

my advice: shop around, be flexible, avoid like the plague the "gotta have 1 particular bike" mindset. chances are there are half a dozen differet bikes out there that would fit your style/budget. also, just cuz you CAN afford a new bike doesn't mean you have to. shop used. you might find just the thing you want.

jeremiah

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I just got my YZ450FR and they came off of MSRP by $500. I bought the bike before they had it. Unfortunately, the tax made up that difference. Check a dealer out of state to save the tax, it might be as good a deal as you can get. BTW, the YZ450FR is hard to come by right now so if you want one you will have to be quick. The Raptors are very popular but seem to be in better supply so you "might" get a reasonable deal. Good luck. See my ride report here.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
I picked up a brand new '02 after the '03's arrived, and it saved me about $900. But if you've got your heart set on the YZF450 that won't be an option; the '02 CRF450, thats another story. :think:
Happy hunting!

bparker

Sep 28, 2002
Thanks for the input and advice, as it seems just like the auto market - when they are hot - they sell for sticker+ and when they are not you can possibly save on seom tax $.

Good info and thanks again, :thumb:

Traildale1

Apr 22, 2000
Typically the dealer cost for bikes and 4-wheelers is 80% of the MSRP. Check out Chicagocycle.com and phone their sales staff for a price. They usually advertise at dealer cost and then add on freight and dealer prep. For example, a $6000 MSRP bike would cost the dealer $4800 and CC would add on about $350 in freight and prep for an out-the-door-price of $5150. Lots of Minnesota racers buy from Chicago and have the bikes shipped in bunches - and no MN sales tax that way. The worst case would be MSRP plus freight and setup and tax - that would be about $6750 out-the-door vs. the $5150 above. BIG difference. Seriously consider a 2002. I just picked up a 2002 Yamaha FZ1000 from a dealer about three hours away. MSRP is $8500 and I got it brand new from the dealer for $7200 plus tax (that's $400 over dealer cost). If dealers are overstocked at the end of the season, many will sell at or close to their cost. It would have cost the dealer about $300 in interest to carry the bike over the winter.
On a YZF450 - good luck. Look for a dealer in the middle of nowhere. For example, when the 01 YZF250s came out, a dealer in Stillwater Minnesota sold 2 of the 3 he had on order, to guys in California, in mid February. They paid $100 under MSRP plus about $500-$600 in shipping.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Well, this isn't in regards to pricing, but I'm curious about something bparker. You mentioned you were looking at a YZF450 and a 660 Raptor. Which, pray tell, is your "woman" planning to ride???!!

Now, if she's got tons of riding experience and is a tough gal, then I'll shut up. But if she is a beginner and needs to learn the basics, I wouldn't put her on either one of those machines. The Raptor 660 is a fast, race-ready Quad, not some weekend touring machine, regardless of the fact that it has 4 wheels. Please tell me I am wrong, and that's not what you were planning.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by bparker
New member here,
I am ready to buy a new bike or two for my woman and I - and havent bought a new "retail" bike ever. But sine I am probably going to buy two of them and interest rates are gravy - I have decided to take the plunge and get two virgins.
Throught my life I have always bought used cause I was a poor kid.. and I havent riden in about 6 years... so I am SURE that I am in for a huge surprise when it comes to the power of these new beefy light weight 4 strokers......

Now, is it typical to pay "full MSRP"?? Or do dealers haggle? If so how much as in % off MSRP?
I am looking at buying a new :worship: YZF450 & a 660 Raptor...

Please let me know if paying MSRP is a rip or normal as no one likes getting bent over...
Thanks for your advice,

Dealers,well most of them are slugs.I like to pay atleast 200.00 dollars under retail out the door.no freight no set up.For example my 03 kx 250 is 5899 retail I payed 5616 out the door 300 under retail total..It could have been, after the set up and tax and freight,6400-6600 outrageous.I know some racers who even get theirs cheaper,but I want to be happy and the dealer can also make a little money also.YZF 450 is 6300 retail I would atleast shoot for 6100 out the door total.I know a few riders who have purchased them for 5800-5900,but these are a hot item.Happy hunting.

bparker

Sep 28, 2002
Ye- - she grew up on two stroke dirt bikes and isnt the most agressive rider at all - however she does a pretty good job staying vertical most of the dat when riding..

Thanks for the concern as it is a VERY valid one..

Take care,

BP

Originally posted by LoriKTM
Well, this isn't in regards to pricing, but I'm curious about something bparker. You mentioned you were looking at a YZF450 and a 660 Raptor. Which, pray tell, is your "woman" planning to ride???!!

Now, if she's got tons of riding experience and is a tough gal, then I'll shut up. But if she is a beginner and needs to learn the basics, I wouldn't put her on either one of those machines. The Raptor 660 is a fast, race-ready Quad, not some weekend touring machine, regardless of the fact that it has 4 wheels. Please tell me I am wrong, and that's not what you were planning.

stapletonjt

Oct 1, 2002
Just yesterday I was able to aquire my '03 CR250R for $200 under MSRP out the door. Your best bet is to haggle, haggle, haggle. I don't care for haggling myself but these guys are salesmen to the nth degree. Don't be afraid to stand up and walk out, they'll give chase.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom