notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
I'm going to do several hare scrambles over the winter, but I need to get into shape first. Here's some background: I'm 34, 6'2", about 225lbs. A few years ago I did a lot of road and mountain biking, but there's different muscles required.

Saturday, I rode harder for longer than I ever had (about 2 hours, with a couple of breaks), and man, I'm sore! :ahhh:

I noticed it in my legs, but that's because I've been off the bicycle for a while. I also was sore through the upper arms and shoulders. So what exercises could I do (other than more riding, of course) to get in better shape?

Thanks...

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Well, besides more riding, cardio and diet are the two biggest things that will give you more energy and stamina. Muscular endurance will likely only come from more riding. Swimming is an excelent cardio workout for those who hate running, much like myself.

At 6'2" 225lbs sounds about right. A taller seat foam, bar risers, and lower footpegs would do wonders for your comfort on the bike. I'm 6'1" and have done that to my YZF and it feels much more comfortable/easy to ride.

The more you ride, the more comfortable you will be on the bike.
The more comfortable you are on the bike, the more controll you will have over the bike. The more controll you have over the bike, the easier, and less tiring, it will be to ride. Let it flow and stay loose. If you are fighting the bike for 2Hrs, it'll kick anyone's ass, even someone who is good.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Here's what i've done over the last couple of months to get into to shape and I can now ride on an MX track for a 2 hour class (that has some stopping for instruction and one break at halfway) without getting sore (I'm 33, 5'8 170 lbs). I too was having problems in my shoulders and and legs before (still a little tight sometimes but much better).

2-3 times a week I lift weights, but not like I used to for football in a more "cardio" style. I do these excercises back to back and then rest for 90 seconds and repeat 3 times.

Bench Press 15-20 reps (Chest)
Military Presses sitting on an excercise ball 15 reps (Front Shoulders)
Curls 15 reps (biceps)
Squats 20-30 reps (legs)
Overhead extensions 15-20 reps (triceps)
Lateral raises or Bentover Lateral raises 15-20 reps (shoulders)
Crunches 20-25 reps (abs)
Upright Rows or bent over rows 15 reps (back)
Lunges 15-20 reps (legs)

the high reps and cardio nature of this makes its so the weight you can do is much less but it seems to be working. I also jog about 3-4 miles 3 times a week.

This has worked great for me so far, let me know if you have any questions about any of it. I posted a similar question a while back, the best response I got on here was "have sex 2 times a day, 5 days a week" :)

Top Bottom