atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
heyy, riding season is just around the corner and I was wondering if anyone had and suggestions for any exercises I could do to get in better shape for the riding season. Specifically the parts of the body we use most. Like my amrs and upper legs. I haven't done anything in the past and think this might help me get better. thanks

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Ride.
A LOT.

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
agreed, did 3 hard hours on sunday and my shoulders are still feeling the burn today. thats a good sign that you have pushed yourself to a level that is beneficial. Over time, the same amount of exerted effort won't leave you tired and sore - youll be able to go at full tilt for longer.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
well i weight lifting for wresting and this past off season i gained 10 lbs. of muscle. i went riding the other day and i can already tell im better at being able to control the bike in the air. for exercises, wrist curls, shoulder press, basically just getting into a good lifting routine will make you a better and stronger rider.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
thanks

thanks jd, that should help. i cant wait to get out riding again and hopefully the year will start with me leaving me friends in the dust with their mouths hanging open :)

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
I've come to the conclusion that a fitness program only helps expert riders. For the rest of us it comes down to seat time. For example, I am an expert skier and a novice mx rider. 2 years ago I made a serious effort to train for both sports. I noticed that the training really made a difference in my skiing since I was already good at it and it helped me get to the next level. However, I don't feel it helped me much at all with mx. I am in better physical condition than most of my friends that ride but since I am less skilled I am wasting a lot more energy and tire out quicker. I think it is great to want to train and be in shape but I wouldn't expect it to help your riding unless you are already at a high level.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
That does make sense njkx. I could see that. I dont know how much it actually improved my riding, but i did notice me being able to muscle the bike around through the whoops and jumps a little better. also my endurance in my forearms and shoulders is better.

krushnburn

Apr 4, 2008
well... most training is aimed towards helping you to be able to tolerate your lactate threshold and build endurance. so regardless of your skill level, if you have a "sport specific" routine, it will help you better your riding, at least at little bit.
On the other hand, you're right...the difference is not huge unless your skill level is up to the point where you'd even notice that a gram off your bike made a difference on your last practice.

and if you want a good way to get in shape quick, just get mono or throw up after every meal... models do it and it works....

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
fat

im not looking to loose weight here, im looking to better my muscles. Therefore probably gain mass. I just asked this becuase i have noticed how quick i get tired.

ohmthis

Jan 31, 2008
Here's some easy things you can do. Push ups... Sit ups ... Lunges... Run up and down steps. these will get your whole body stronger and you can do these at home. Watch how people ride and ask questions on things that you lack in. I agree riding will help the most though.

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
it all depends where your base fitness is, I was overweight and physicall weak when I started biking. After 30 minutes on the bike I would be physically drained from the effort of getting around tight turns or "walking" the bike over difficult obstacles - a bit of weight training, some running and more time in the saddle left me in much better standing - now its only after a long day or extra hard riding that I'll feel the burn the morning after

krushnburn

Apr 4, 2008
atkkid250 said:
im not looking to loose weight here, im looking to better my muscles. Therefore probably gain mass. I just asked this becuase i have noticed how quick i get tired.

alright, relax...it was a joke.

just ride more and lift and quit whinning.

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Hey when i started to ride a dirtbike last season i had almost 230 pounds which is very much for my age. I couldn't do 10 pushups without getting very exhausted.

Than i started to excercise and in 3 months i lost almost 55 pounds! That is alot in such short time. Now i can run very long and i can do over 100 pushups without being too much exhausted.
Now i can handle strong bikes for longer time and my arms and shoulders are hurting only when i try to ride dads CR 500 :D :D

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
And before because of weight i had big problems with my right knee that i broke before on bike. Now i don't have problems with knee at all.

So pushups and runing thats all you need to lose weight and get stronger!

jcarautos1

Dec 3, 2007
I think the best thing sence you get tired is ride time and when you cant ride, run, or jog on a treadmill. 1 Key thing for me, i have noticed is to make sure you drink plenty of water. I'm 45 and i really notice if I didn"t drink enough water.

Top Bottom