glassport dumps near pittsburgh pa

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
have any of you southwestern pa people ever heard of or rode at the glassport dumps? im just curious, its fairly close to where i live and have been told that its pretty cool out there but have never been there. i was also told that it was shut down and the police will go back there.

holyschnikes

Jun 5, 2000
The police will tag & tow your vehicle, the locals will key it !!!! I was told by some OLD man on a XR " this place is for locals ONLY " Nice people in Glassport.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
your right about the people, its nothing but white trash losers down there. i was told that when the pros would come to town for high point and steel city they would actually come to town early to go tho the glassport dumps and ride, also i was told that there are dirt bike movies that mcgrath and others are in that were filmed there. im going to check into riding there though, check it out on the mountain bike first. whats it like there, mx type stuff, trails? have you ever rode at the bowl at finleyville, is it anything like that? i need to find the entrance to get in, where did you park at?

holyschnikes

Jun 5, 2000
I've also heard about the pro's (Mike Jones) riding in that area.. I just saw some hillbillys on IT's, PE'S and XR's and some local b riders, no pro's.... Movies?? I've seen most of the movies and I can't place the landscape in any movies. Finleyville (the bowl) has lots of trails and a practice HS track through the woods. Glassport has a old MX track and some trails. The mx track COULD be very nice. The last time I rode at Glassport, summer 2001, the track was in VERY poor condition ( 2-3 foot ditches on some parts of the track). Parking is a problem.. While traveling through Glassport (Main street ?) make a turn onto 8th street, up the hill, follow street to the end. DON'T park anywhere near the GATE. TAG & TOW area. I parked off the road about 75 feet down, well off the road. Some of my friends had their vehicles keyed in that area by the locals??

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for reponding, i really appreciate. i actually live really close to finleyville(the bowl), i ride there all the time and im probably going there today, i was asking if glassport was like the bowl at finleyville. my friend told me that glassport was in movies ill ask him today which one he was talking about. im going to check glassport out on my mountain bike first, from the directions you gave me will i find my way to the actual mx track from where you said to park at or is it easy to get lost? i know the first time i rode out at finleyville by myself i got lost, i was lucky and ran into someone who knows those trails well and got me back to the train tracks so i could go home. as far as locals keying cars, that sounds about right, that area is a breeding ground for white trash, pretty much anywhere along the river is for some reason. thanks again for your help.

holyschnikes

Jun 5, 2000
At the end of the street, 8th, you will see a metal gate. The road continues up the hill as a dirt road after the gate, follow the road to the top of the hill. BEWARE the road and property is owned by the city if Glassport, you could get cited for trespassing??? but it's hard for the police to do anything when the locals are riding past you. When you get to the top of the hill follow the trail toward the right. You will see a large flat area without any grass or trees, this should be your starting point because the track and most of the trails circle back to this point. The area is smaller than finley. It's a lot harder to get lost at glassport. It would be great if a city official from Glassport or any other city/ county saw the interest in off- road riding in the western pa. area. It could be a Great $$$ MONEY maker. Look at the Hatfield/McCoy trails. (trailsheaven.com ) I know lots of people from western Pa. driving 5 hours south to ride in West Virginia.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for all you help, i really appreciate it. i agree with you about places like hatefield/mccoy and other places that are open to the public, i wish there were places like that around here, im actually thinking about buying a membership to tower city next year. did you ever ride at webster? i have never been there myself but i hear there is a lot of good riding out there but i think you have to watch because the owner has vehicles towed and has spike strips down. there used to be so much more out where i live, i live close to finleyville, the highway that was put in destroyed ton of trails and so did all the housing developments. what really sucks is i never got the chance to ride a lot of it because i didnt get in dirt bikes until a few years ago. anyway thanks again for your help.

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
Im gonna try to get over the clairton bridge.. my trailer is not here so im pretty much stuck on the clairton side of the water.. got any extra room ;) ?

Ill see if i can get across the bridge

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
I'll be riding Isabella dumps first weekend in Oct when I come home. Maybe I'll find a way out to the glassport dumps at some point.

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
Rode clairton dumps today.... lookin great over there lots of trails and track.

Plenty of places to explore.. and nobody messes with you.

Easy drive up too, park at my house and we can ride in.. anyone interested?

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
today i realized for the first time how challenging the clairton dumps can be :)

Had fun until I twisted my knee when the bike came out from under me on a tight berm....

fun though, i am nursing my injury... maybe its time to buy some protective knee gear

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
indicaz could you find the googlemaps address for it? I'm just trying to see where in glassport these dumps are and how big they are compared to Isabella, Pa.

olpremix

Aug 28, 2007
glassport dumps are approx. 80 acres, used to be a mx track in the 80's. remnants of track still there and a pretty wide open area to ride(great for beginners or kids). also has some decent trails to screw around on.its nice cause you actually are allowed to ride there.its about 45 minute ride from uniontown area-if you want to go when your in town let me know.

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
Count me in to ride on the 7th of October. I will be hunting on saturday and monday i have off from work so I will be hunting and riding all weekend

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
holyschnikes said:
Some of my friends had their vehicles keyed in that area by the locals??

try the auto security system that we use in tennessee - empty box buckshot on dash, some rounds on front seat along with a few empty beer cans. they may think about the fact that you have a gun and have been drinking... :yikes:

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
Anyone interested in riding the clairton dumps can just park at my house, im 2 minutes from the glassport dumps too, I go riding almost every day so my schedule is pretty wide open, get in touch

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
indicaz, e-mail me (jrfuzz@hotmail.com) your phone number and i'll give you a call and set something up when I am home the first weekend in OCT.

JustinC628

Mar 12, 2008
Where exactly is the Clairton Dumps? I lived in Jefferson Boro (near Greenmans) for most of my life and never heard of the Clairton dumps. Are you reffering to the massive coal pile you can see off of St. Claire Ave. near the Clairton pool?

jstone

Jan 29, 2009
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just got back into riding and was wondering if anyone knew about the areas I used to ride in (10-15 years ago...wow I feel old). Two places I had in mind were:

Peters Ponds: off of Rt. 51 about 2 miles north of the Elizabeth Bridge.

Behind the Allegheny County Airport: off of Streets Run Rd. in the Baldwin/Whitehall area

Anyone know if you can still ride there without getting a ticket? Thanks.

Top Bottom