placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Hello Mike. John Gill here. Good to see you've made it this way.

What in general do you plan to do there? High altitude, forest (cooler) or the lower park (warmer) trails? Are Eric T., Ron, & Lisa still active?

There's been talk of doing Snowy trail amongst the SoCa crew. None of us have been on it since its re-opening of late; a few said they have before, but as you know that was years ago. Is there any preference/benefit to going up or down?

Mike_Hobbs

Mar 10, 2002
Hi John,

What in general do you plan to do there? High altitude, forest (cooler) or the lower park (warmer) trails?

Don't have a ride plan yet but we'll more then likely do both.

Are Eric T., Ron, & Lisa still active?

They sure are. Ron just bought a DRZ400 but has plans on the day of the Gorman ride so he won’t make it. Lisa just started a new job and I don't know if she's riding with us or not. Eric will be at Gorman though.

There's been talk of doing Snowy trail amongst the SoCa crew. None of us have been on it since its re-opening of late; a few said they have before, but as you know that was years ago. Is there any preference/benefit to going up or down?

Doesn’t really make a difference, either way it's tough trail. Maybe we'll ride it on the 18th. Legally, you need to be DS to get to the trailhead or throw the bikes in the back of a truck for the few miles to get to the start of it. I guess a while back someone had a head on with one of the F.S. trucks on the road that leads to Snowy and sued the F.S. big time.

Mike Hobbs

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
placelast,
Up or down Snowy depends on your preference for switchbacks - climbing or descending. I went down them the only time I've ridden Snowy - notice I didn't say 'I rode down them'........ That was back in early '00 so I don't know what kinda shape they're in now but I wouldn't imagine they've gotten any better. Somewhere on the 'net I've seen pictures of Snowy - not sure where.

Brian

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
You guys may want to be aware that the VCMC Qualifier (Similar to an Enduro) is May 19th! I don't think they ride Snowy, but there may be lots of ribbon out elsewhere in the area, and an unusually high number of riders. If you plan to still ride that day, maybe MCassle and I will join you. He is supposed to meet up with me to ride the Qualifier.

Hows that sound Matt?

deano...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
ArrrggHHH ! I did forget about the qualifier, which was so fun last year I promised myself I'd ride it again. Since the 85 mile qualifier pushes my envelope, I really don't think it wise for me to ride on Saturday. I'll probably pass. Bummer since I was pretty psyched to do the Gorman get-together. We'll see ..

Mike_Hobbs

Mar 10, 2002
I know the guy from VCMC that's holding the race. He emailed me about it saying there was a free dinner on Sat for check workers. I'll hit him up about the number of riders in the area on Sat...

Mike Hobbs

ArrrggHHH ! I did forget about the qualifier, which was so fun last year I promised myself I'd ride it again. Since the 85 mile qualifier pushes my envelope, I really don't think it wise for me to ride on Saturday. I'll probably pass. Bummer since I was pretty psyched to do the Gorman get-together. We'll see ..

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Ohhh yeah, you can count me in on this one. I'm scheduled to work but I'll put in vacation for it. I've been looking forward to this one for awhile.

I agree with Eel, if we do a ride on Saturday, let's take it easy :) If this qualifier is 85 miles then I'll need most of my energy for Sunday. I havn't been on the bike since the Running Cactus, I'm getting outta shape!

Man I wish I could make the High Desert event, still healing up :ugg:

Matt

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The High Dersert's gonna be pretty interesting. Last year it was very fast but this year they are throwing out the 3 mile rule. So there will be possibles just about everywhere. If it's not too fast it will be really tricky. Of course if it turns into another hare-scramble-enduro then the tricky check rule will be for naught.

Glad you're coming out for the Qualifier. It's 75 miles total this year - A, B and C do two loops. Did you run it last year ? It was a blast even though I got a rear flat around 53 miles in ... back in the forest. I was glad I finished ... though the last 30 or so miles on a flat was not much fun ! One highlight I remember was getting blown by by Paul Krause in the woods ! He made his own practically impossible trail to get around me since we were on the "1/2 track" stuff back in the forest. It was amazing ! The Qualifier is absolutely a great tour of Gorman. I bet it's gonna be packed this year. Too bad I'm such a slug on the moto track ... at least it's only a real short stretch of the overall course ! :)

See you there .. if we take it easy on Saturday I might be willing to give it a go.

http://venturacountymc.com/entry.html

Last edited:

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by the Eel
The High Dersert's gonna be pretty interesting. Last year it was very fast but this year they are throwing out the 3 mile rule. So there will be possibles just about everywhere. If it's not too fast it will be really tricky. Of course if it turns into another hare-scramble-enduro then the tricky check rule will be for naught.

I'm helping lay out the course for the High Desert. We have every intention of making it a real time keeper, without making it to boring for the fast guys. Be sure to be using some type of time keeping equipment. If you're using a computer, don't mark the checks, or it won't show the possibles inside the 3 mile mark.

Should be lots of fun!

Entertainment will be yard sales (there was some great stuff last year), a chili cookoff and live supercross brodcast! Be sure to bring any stuff you have cluttering up your garage and plenty of beverage to wash down the chili.

DON'T FORGET TO ORDER YOUR TWMC JERSEYS!

deano...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom