Oct 23, 2005
Hey, once again I have a new small problem that makes me feel stupid :bang: . Just bought new grips, got trhe old ones off no problem, and I got the left grip on, but the right grip is a real pain because I cant twist the grip to get it on because of the throttle. Any ideas?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Use an old paintball? Sorry, couldn't resist. :`)

The above techniques typically work. Be sure to safety wire them on in 2 or 3 places when you're done. Suggest you do a search if you have more questions on this topic.

Doug

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
are you positive you put the left one on the left side and are trying the right one on the right side?

Sounds stu[pid but if you don't actually look you could sweitch em up and the left would slip on but the throttle side will not fit no matter how hard you push, twist, or cuss

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
rpm12505 said:
Aren't they suppose to be glued? The wet glue allows them to slide right on.
Most of the time yes it will help but if you wait a couple seconds to long and it gets tacky you are in for a fight. I use grip glue plus safety wire them just to be safe

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I'm surprised that nobody else has said this, but try cutting a small hole in the end of the new grip, it will let the air escape. Usually, I just stab it with a knife until the tip of the blade gets through the rubber.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
oldguy said:
I use grip glue plus safety wire them just to be safe

+1 right here, glue and wire. I would never reccomend using dish soap or WD40 :ride:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
+2 grip glue and safety wire.

And do double check you have them on the right sides. I've seen it done before -
"The left one went on super easy but feels loose, I can't get the right one on more than 1/4 of the way".
The grips have different inside diameters because of the throttle tube.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
Put a bowl of water in the microwave
after u take it out and its really hot put the grip in it,,
while u wait ,
put jb weld on the throttle tube,,,
quickly dry the grip of and slide it on
the hot grip stretches a lot easier

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Some of these techniques are way too complicated. If you just glue them like you're supposed to, they slide right on with almost no effort. No poking of holes or heating in the microwave necessary. The glue will also prevent them from twisting or coming off. 3M Weather Strip Adhesive works best for me. If you plan on riding in wet/muddy conditions, you HAVE to safety wire your grips. I still recommend you safety wire, anyways. It's no fun charging out of a turn and having your grip slip off the bars. Next thing you know, you'll be sitting on the track with your bike 20ft away but the grip still in your hand.

Bent6

Jul 30, 2000
I know it's an old thread, but you can use a blow gun to install/remove grips. Just slide the grip on as far as you can, put the point of the blowgun into the inboard edge of the grip, and blow the gun as you push. It'll slid on if you push on or slide off if you pull it off.

I use this mostly for bicycle grips, as I glue all my motorcycle grips. I'm sure blowing the motorcycle grips would work ok if you safety wired them after the grips were installed.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
I wrap the bar end in black vinyl tape (throttle handle too). Then spray it down with carb cleaner - starts to melt the tape. Then spray the inside of the grip with the same cleaner. Push the grip to the right position. Done. Never used wire, never used glue and never had a grip come loose. Just be careful with the carb cleaner - it will melt through the soft Renthal grips quickly. Just spray it in there, roll the wet solvent around a couple times and dump it out fast. Work quickly getting the grips into place.

This technique works great at the track because it's ready to ride in no time at all.

Good luck.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Rather than use grip glue, use Rubber Cement. Yes, the same stuff you used on paper as a kid.

It is waterproof and holds quite well. It also doesn't set up nearly as fast as some other types (particularly superglue), giving you more working time.

I've used it on my CR and got it thoroughly wet and never had a grip slip on me. A friend of mine, who used to race WORCS and the like, gave me the tip.

Top Bottom