Mar 29, 2001
I kept getting hacked today by something called a "newtear attack"? Not exactly sure what it is but I have the IP of whoever was doing this. Is there something I can do or somebody I could report this to?

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Report it to your ISP, they take these things seriously.

You should get a firewall, it will help to prevent this from happening again. They aren't 100% hack-proof, but having one is much better than not.

Mar 29, 2001
There wasn't any damage or anything so it isn't so much of a big deal but for future reference. Why Moo do you ask, was it yooo?? Maybe if you teach me how to do it too I could give you something nice and shiney for your bike. :)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I would definatly report their IP to your ISP. There ISP will more than likely ban them from use. A firewall or some secturity software would be advisalbe.

Good to see you around Moo.

Mar 29, 2001
Thanks all for the info. My system was all messed up from this virus recently and so it was pretty irritating having this happen too. Maybe my system isn't totally clean and it's all related somehow. I'll go ahead and notify my ISP like you all advise. Thanks again.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by Danman
I would definatly report their IP to your ISP. There ISP will more than likely ban them from use. A firewall or some secturity software would be advisalbe.

Good to see you around Moo.

Just because you have an IP address is no guarantee that you have the (CR)hacker's IP address. Many crackers use other folk's systems that have been cracked to do their dirty work. Why would a cracker use their own IP address when there are so many unsecured servers scattered about the 'net for them to trade like baseball cards?

Still, report the activity and the IP to your ISP. If it is or isn't the perp's IP address the owner of that IP address needs to know what happened.

-jeffd

Last edited:

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Hacked - what to do?

After you get a firewall, call your ISP and request a new IP. Hackers will keep looking you up, and if they see you installed a firewall, that is more of a challenge to them. Change your IP, only takes a few seconds, then the hacker won't know who or where you are. We had a hacker problem when we were on the cable system. Change the IP 3 times. The hacker kept coming back because the cable co. system was easy to attack and our area had old technology. He was using our LAN as a launching point onto the internet. We added a firewall then changed IP, solved the problem. We also got his IP, false trail, turned out to be one of the cable co routers internal IP.

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Find the hacker, tie him up & then let Twinkie deal with `em:scream:

Attachments

• twinnie.jpg
    twinnie.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 118

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks Taraker, I just lost my appetite and spit coffee all over my PC!
Elk

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Taraker,

Would you please quit posting that shot of yourself all over the place. I'm starting to get nightmares. If I had not walked back into kaos, I would properly deal with you. No time now... I'll be back!

Top Bottom