flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Bark busters are purpose built........read name "bark busters" so they're not for everyone,but if you do tree hugging like I do from time to time then they're great. I have heard many horror "stories" about broken wrists from bark busters, but never seen or known someone have it happen. I think they're perfectly safe. And they are legal for mx, back in 94' Before "mx" handguards were available Mike Kiedrowski ran them at Unadilla after returning from a broken finger. I do agree that the mx-style are more purpose built,but the tips about the sliding the levers closer to the center of the bars is a good common rule. If your willing to spend around 50-60 dollars on the bark busters/mx guards, I would look into buying the ASV levers. They're designed w/a hinge in the grip that allows the lever to bend backwards on that axis and is warrantied for 3yrs! They are expensive at 60 bucks per lever, but if you have that much of a problem w/levers you've probably spent more than that replacing levers. Although the best option is just to stop crashing so much;)

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
now I just feel dumb!! the levers are ARC not ASV(someone else correct me if I have anymore bluppers) I'm gonna go stand in the corner now:|

redrider50

Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by dirty~d~
Let me ask this question... do you see bark busters on Ricky or Bubba's bikes?

actually i think ricky did run hand guards at one of the outdoor nationals this summer. i also think that bubba did too. travis pastrana and sean hamblin use them often. maybe not with the metal bar wrapping around, but mxers do use them, including myself.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by redrider50

actually i think ricky did run hand guards at one of the outdoor nationals this summer. i also think that bubba did too. travis pastrana and sean hamblin use them often. maybe not with the metal bar wrapping around, but mxers do use them, including myself.

Those aren't bark busters...that's what this whole thread is about

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
If the MX style handguards do help save levers I'd also be interested in them... I had thought they were just for keeping mud/water/roost off the riders hands/grips...

I'm not concerned "only" about the levers... I had a low-speed crash last year in which the clutch lever broke, and the brake lever stayed intact but took the mounting ears off with it - since it was attached the the master cylinder, I had to spend $130 replacing this and lost two weeks of summer riding time. It's stuff like this I want to avoid... since the bars seem like the most-impacted part of the bike in the majority of my crashes...

I'll implement the suggestions here (moving the levers in and not tightening the perches as much) and see if they help. If I have too many more problems I may look into folding levers.

pat567

Oct 26, 2002
I agree with both woodsrider1 and dirtyd,it's about the type of riding you do.If you ride woods get the gaurds,but if you ride track dont.They make special levers (avsinventions.com)that are disigned to flex both ways.Me I'm a woods rider so I swear by gaurds they saved my hands and levers many a time.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
The Cycra pro bends have that dip on the side which drops the guards out of the way and the plastic screw in guards are easily bendable. I can't imagine what type of crash would force a borken wrist with these type of guards. My buddy who races Novice/inter. just had his hand broken by a rock sent from someone's roost. He was out 6 weeks with this injury and lost his 1st place position. He now uses handguards when he races.

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
I hate to disagree with you Bryan, but MX style hand guards go way back. I know Bailey ran them in '80's. For first turn reasons the AMA banned the types connected to the ends of the handlerbars fearing aggressive first turn activity.ie ramming because the front brake lever is covered. They had to be removed back when there was a tech inspection at local tracks. The ones the MX Kied ran didn't attach to the bar ends.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom