TomMcT

Aug 4, 2005
Ok, here is my problem. I have a 1996 RM 125 and when it is cold (hasn't been on for say 2-3 hours) it is hard as hell to start. the only way I have been sucessfully able to start it is by bumping it... and sometimes I have to go down a hill 2 times to get it started does anyone know what could be causing this?

Cheers,
Tom

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
it could also be your jetting, when my rm was jetted way lean i couldnt kick start it, had to bumped, once fixed, fired up 1st or second kick

TomMcT

Aug 4, 2005
ya, I think it might be jetting because the rings were recently replaced and I already checked the fuel line and the spark... so I need to jet it a bit richer? do I need to buy new jets or can I just fine tune it...

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
try turning the air screw in and see if it does anything, if it help it start then you need to richen up the jets. Pull the old ones out and see what size they are and then go get a few extra a few sizes bigger and see if it helps. A top end could be needed but i would check the jetting first. If it is running really lean then you could possibly need a new top end just cause of that, its not good to run lean

Feb 17, 2005
Assuming this is a perfectly good running bike that needs no repairs... if it sits for 2 or 3 hours then it will most likely need the choke to be turned on for it to fire up.

Top Bottom