Has anyone tried the Seal Savers on their forks?

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Yep, put them on my 02 300mxc about 3 months ago. Even at the Quicksilver that was very muddy they didn't let any mud get to the seals. I've checked them several times and they stay pretty clean under there.
only problem in the fork guard rubs on them since I put a carbon disk guard on...so I ordered another pair to have as spare.

is that enough of an endorsement? :-)

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
Sounds good to me! Heck for the price it looks like a pretty good idea, it's just something about the boots that come on there that I just don't like.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
...and I run them a bit high to try and reduce stiction..really half of them is on the non-sliding part.

..these are on 02 300mxc..not sure how they fit on a conventional fork system. but ya, I totally think they are worth the price. they save one blown seal and they're worth the trouble of taking off the forks to put on.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
One thing to be weary of if you run seal savers. If you ride in wet conditions, they will absorb water like a sponge and stay that way. My friend has them on his 03 450E/XC and is taking them off for this reason.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I just ordered a set. Can you slide them up the bottom of the fork leg of conventional forks, or do you have to remove the fork from the triple clamps and slide them down the top?

old#48

Jun 17, 2002
Ive got them and they seem to be working pretty good, but you do have to make sure the fork guards don't rub on them and MOST IMPORTANT, you have to keep it clean under where they rub on the fork sliders. I have heard of guys not liking them because the grit that hangs up on them puts scratches in their forks and I can definitely see where they are coming from, especially if you are in the mud much at all.

In my opinion, it's good to buy the long ones and then cut them in half so you end up with two short sets for not much extra money. Have heard using the long style can cause problems because if a stick or something damages them then they can get caught up in the brakes and stuff when the forks compress.

old#48

Jun 17, 2002
I put mine on from the top down, but I was working on my forks and had them off anyway. I kinda doubt it, but you might be able to stretch them over the axle perch at the bottom of the forks.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Keep in mind if you stretch them too far then you defeat the purpose of the product. Take the time and pull off your forks and do it the right way, you'll be happier in the end. :thumb:

James980

Dec 29, 1999
They do keep things pretty clean, but like someone said, you can't just forget about them -- especially if some crap does make it up under there. I had them on last year and still got leaky seals by late fall.

That didn't keep me from getting them again for this year, though, because the seals still were in much better shape than the year before when I didn't use them.

The buying the long ones and cutting them is a good idea. I wish I would have thought of it.

Another thing I considered was actually cutting them *vertically* and then using zip ties to hold them in place. The reason was they still would keep out 90% of the crap but you could easily take them off and let them air out between rides so moisture isn't up in there doing all kinds of evil things to the fork tubes. Couldn't bring myself to do it, though.

James

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Two things I do :
1) I put the zip ties thru clear tubing (fishtank tubing). Helps keep the fork guards from rubbing thru the sealsaver.
2) I turn my sealsavers inside out after washing the bike, clean the dirt off the inside surface of the sealsaver, and leave them to dry. Just pull em back down before the next ride.

B

biglou

All good points here. I've been running them on both my bikes since new, and no leaking seals on either bike, ever (knock wood!). That's two years on the kTm, and one year on the YZF. I would definitely suggest pulling the fork tubes and putting them on from the top. The way they explained it to me over the phone was to slide them on, then turn the bottom up about an inch, and insert your thumbs in the "pocket" and work them down. One of the best accessories ever invented, IMO. :thumb:

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
well, i'll be the first to disagree and say that seal savers are a waste. i put them on my 450 when new and rode three muddy rides. after every ride, there would be a considerable amount of dirt and grit trapped under the savers. upon closer inspection, the chrome plating on the lower sanction tubes had longitudinal scores all around the tube. luckily, i discovered this before the scoring was deep enough to cause any real problems. let me restate that this was a brand new bike. needless to say, i threw the seal savers in the nearest trash can.

there are many riders over at ktmtalk that share this same opinion. even if you clean them after every ride, one small rock that could get trapped at the begining of a 50 mi day could ruin the chrome plating by the end of the day. i would much rather change seals than have to change the lower sanctions.

Top Bottom