mp4798

Aug 10, 2001
I drive 8 hrs from greenville nc and worth every minute. we usually stay at the super 8 in logan. bear wallow and rockhouse trailheads are my favorites,

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
mp4798...Sent you PM but your box is full dude. I have plenty of room so come on down. I'll keep checking back at work today and maybe we can get in touch.
Gail

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
If I were only 4 hours from Hatfield McCoy, I would go at least once a month. I have made the 9 hour trip twice now. This is a great place to ride. The riding consists of mountainous rocky riding. The trails are classified as easy, more diffficult, and most difficult. These classifications are realistic, the most difficult trails are very hard. We stayed in the Chief Logan state park campground. Then we drove the trail heads and unloaded everyday. This is a nice campground with a decent shower house. If you don't intend to camp, there is a Super 8 hotel in Logan. I do not recommend staying in the Devil Anse campground, once you go you will see why.

I highly recommend going to Hatfield McCoy trail system. It is probably the best trail system this side of the Rocky Mountains. :aj:

James980

Dec 29, 1999
You really need to see the the Bear Wallow trail head in Logan. I'd suggest this: Take 14 to 93, 93 to 14, 14 to 69, 69 to 94, 94 to 195, 195 to 194, 194 to 94, 94 to 14. The spot at the top of this hill (94/14 intersection) is pretty wide, so you can take a breather. (You'll need it.) Then take 14 to 48, 48 to 14, 14 to 91, 91 to 41, 41 to 16, 16 back to your truck.

Gas up.

Then go check out the other side.

James

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Bill,SPD....James980 shows you exactly what we missed and it is all awesome. I'm game for next weekend guys. The only thing is we need to have a meeting of the minds about keeping the speed down on the easy stuff to reduce the chances of injury and to save energy for the really good stuff. :eek:

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Yea, I don't think we can go that fast on a normal day. There didn't seem to be a lot of people there that day, thank goodness. I'd have to look at the map again but we rode the majority of the trails on the one end, and then you took us out on the big loop. I had more fun on the big loop and the single track you took us on. Sadly I have to work the next two weekends but all the guys around here are excited about going there again. We'll definitely let you know. How are the other trail heads?

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Originally posted by KTM-Lew
The only thing is we need to have a meeting of the minds about keeping the speed down on the easy stuff to reduce the chances of injury

Don't be tempted to go all out in fifth gear on the easy blues just because you can. There are a lot of areas with large rocks, blind turns, etc. Hitting a basketball-sized rock at speed is not fun, nor is meeting face-to-face with a group of Honda Foremans.

James

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom