Having trouble starting the bike

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I have only ridden my '00 kdx this year a few times (please forgive me). Each time I go to kick it over I can't get it started. The first time I pulled the plug and noticed it was oiled up and wet, so I replaced the plug and I also drained the fuel tank and put in a fresh mix. I was then able to kick it over.

About a month later I tried to start it again and couldn't. I drained the float bowl and checked the plug again. This time the plug was wet (but clean) from fuel. I dried it off, drained the carb and wiped the 2 stroke oil build up of the slide. I then required a push start to get the bike going.

Two weeks later the same problems - after trying to kick it over about 20 times (it used to start 1st or 2nd kick), I pulled the plug and again noticed it was oiled up and wet.

I'm starting to wonder if this is caused by lack of use and a build up of 2 stroke oil in the carb. The fuel in it is about 2-3 months old now. I'm also starting to wonder if I got the pre-mix wrong, though I always try to be as accurate as possible.

I use a B8ES plug.

Any ideas? Does it just need a good run?

I just hope it doesn't cause me any problems this weekend, as I'm going away riding on it for 3 days.

Last edited:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
put a new plug in it.

I noticed with my little XR bikes the same thing. Seems that if you let them sit for a month or so and start them up long enough to warm them, next time you try to start them I would have to install a new plug.

Luckily they are cheap!

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
I have the same problem with my 83 Honda ATC250R. Great trike, but this trend has gotten progressivly worse. NOw it only starts and runs for 10 seconds or so, then the plug has to be replaced or cleaned. Wonder what it is? :think:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I would suspect the fuel tap is possibly leaking which is eventually overflowing the carb & seeping mixture into the bottom end. When you first kick it, it sloshes the very oily mix at the plug.

Try the theory by opening the drainscrew on the carb with the tap off, do it up & try it a day or so latter to see if it has filled again. Some taps are fiddly as to where off is.

The ATC fault is probably Honda’s conscience working for ever releasing such a heinous vehicle into the world. Pull the engine out do something useful with it like a motorised bar-stool.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Make sure (when starting cold) your choke is staying on. Here's a scenario:

1. Pull up the choke
2. Kick it once (choke falls down from the vibration)
3. Kick it a LOT...and it doesn't start.......

......but things DO get wet!

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
Motorized bar stool eh? Neva thought of that...I was thinking more along the lines of a super-lazy boy recliner!
You suck. ;) That ATC hauls ass! Old 250 2-smoke mxer motor in it, only about 300 lbs... VERY fast with tall gearing. Pulls like a tractor...more fun than the KDX! (in the winter... :) )

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I would agree with David Trustrum. I would go a step further. Pull the carb and clean everything. Pull the ignition cover and check for oily residue behind the flywheel. If you have oily residue, you'll need to replace the seal and possibly do the bottom end. You will likely find the the fuel petcock is your main problem and your Mix is to rich with oil. I ran a 40:1 mix in my 89 KDX and had zero problems. The 32:1 recommended mix resulted much spooge and fouled plugs. Check your compression to insure that you are within serviceable limits on you top end. Good luck.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
I'm with you Durt Cycler, get rid of the old gas. I had the same problem with my '01 200 until I changed the gas, switched to Maxima oil and started mixing at 40:1. BSwift's giving some good advice with pulling the carb as well. One question, are you storing the bike with the fuel petcock in the "on" position? Not sure if it makes a difference with the KDX, but a friend of mine's '02RM250 will foul a plug in five minutes by doing that. Good luck!

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Simply clean your pilot and use new fuel. FYI: 32:1 doesn't result in "spo..." (I hate that word) and fouled plugs... Your jetting, or poor jetting does!!!

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Just to clarify, I never leave the fuel tap on when the bike is not running. I used to mix my fuel (premium unleaded) at 40:1 after I rejetted the bike from the advice I received from this forum and the JustKDX website, but ended up going back to 32:1. I use Castrol TTS.

I gave it a run on the weekend (went away for 3 days to a 4WD/Motorbike park - awesome). The first day (with the same old fuel still in the tank) I still had trouble starting the bike and resorted to spraying the air filter with Aerostart. I was then able to start it with a couple of kicks. I rode for an hour or so with out any problems restarting it.

The next day it started 2nd kick. I topped up the couple of litres left in the tank with about 8 litres of fresh fuel, and rode the bike all day without any problems.

The third day, I again had to resort to using Aerostart to get the bike started.

I was hoping, by giving the bike a good blast after months of no use, that it would solve the problem.

I'll check it out further as per everyones advice.

Thanks

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Sorry just re browsing it seems only from cold there is a problem, disassemble & check the choke cct & make sure you can blow through it with compressed air or at a pinch blow through a tube into the passages of the choke cct.

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
Fuel loses some "helpfull" ingredient after a couple months. Just add some fuel stabilizer, that will help.
-Make sure the spark is strong. Water in places where it shouldn't be might effect the strength of the spark.
Unfortunatelly there is no one answer that will solve this problem. Some troubleshooting may be in order...

Good luck!

Top Bottom