GU Ute

Nov 17, 2008
Hey, was riding this arvo and the sun went down and I hadn't had enough and was wondering if anyone has managed to put a headlight on motorcross style bikes. I have seen one in a magazine before and was wondering what woud be involved.

I am guessing you need a battery and maybe a more powerful magneto (do they even use them any more?) to charge it?? sorry for being vaigue as I am new to this dirtbike thing.

And before you say it I couldn't afford the extra $3400 for the X,

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
GU Ute said:
I am guessing you need a battery and maybe a more powerful magneto (do they even use them any more?) to charge it??

Another good link is bajadesigns.com

They can rewire your original stator with a lighting coil that will provide enough current to power your headlight. They also have quick detach headlight and taillight kits to convert your mx bike to street. The kit comes with a small battery to power the brake light.

GU Ute

Nov 17, 2008
Yeah the price difference is cause by the sringent ADR
(Australian Design Rules) which is all the extra crap that has to be put on to meet the rules for something to be road registered here, specific lights, reflectors, ehaust noise, tyres I think even the front master cylinder has to be changed.

When I was looking at getting an 08 X last year, they said you get all the parts that have been taken off and replaced in a big box, so you can put it back to the way you guys must get them. Lots of good parts, and a spare set of non ADR tyres which is the only good part.

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
When i was looking at getting a new ktm it was wired for a headlight but the dealer told me ktm could not ship it over here with one on it unless it was street legal.

Top Bottom