Health: "Rotator Cuff" injuries and "Why Men Incur More Disease"

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Sorry for the cuts and pastes, but I think this is worth a review.

Saved from the knife (rotator cuff surgery unnecessary in some cases).
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blumert/blumert119.html

"There was a sickening snap, and a searing pain, but that was just the beginning; sleepless nights, endless fog induced by pain pills, and the trauma of the surgery itself. . .

The nightmare had almost faded when late in February, racing up a stairway, I missed a step, lost balance, reached out to break the fall and heard the same sickening sound, experienced the same dreadful pain, and knew I had done it again, this time to the other shoulder. . .

(Off to visit Doc Tom Dorman:)

This time [Doc Dorman's] fingers were a blur, the magic pain point was quickly located, and the rapid-fire injection completed in an instant.

"Call me when you get home. I’m confident you’ll be just fine."

"Hold it," I said. "What about torn rotator cuffs? Every medical person I talked to advised that they must be surgically repaired."

"Nonsense," he replied. "You have bursitis." He then proceeded to recite the anatomy of the shoulder and the implausibility that anything was torn or severed.

But what about the $40 million athletes and their torn rotator cuffs? "Well," he answered, "I supposed they are tended to by $2 million orthopedic surgeons."

"You mean," I shouted, "it’s rotator-cuff mythology?"

"Good choice of words, Blumert. . .

My shoulder is almost normal. No more pills, no sleepless nights. Maybe I’ll have to go back to Seattle if the pain returns, but I don’t think so. One thing is for sure. I canceled my appointment with the operating room."

-------------------------

Why Men Incur More Disease and Age Faster

"Males are also subject to higher rates of infection since bacteria, viruses and fungi all require iron for growth. Virtually all of the age-related brain disorders (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s) involve the loss of iron control.

Females on the other hand lose about 30 milligrams of iron in monthly menstrual blood loss. This is nature’s way of keeping the baby carriers of the species healthy. True, women are pale, weak and easily fatigued, but they outlive males by 5–8 years.

Virtually every health measure that is widely practiced controls iron. Exercise causes loss of iron in sweat. A vegetarian diet reduces iron absorption since iron from plant foods is only absorbed on an as-needed basis. A daily aspirin tablet induces a small amount of blood loss and subsequent loss of iron. Tea, wine, grapes, olives and whole grains, all considered healthy foods, bind to iron and inhibit its absorption.

Top Bottom