FreedomRide

Feb 21, 2005
Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and before i start going on about my problems, i figured id try to soften you all up with a warm welcome. :nener: :yeehaw: :cool: well anyway i just picked up a really nice 1983 xr200 (bored to 240cc). Iv spent the last week trying to tune it up and everything seems to be loose. The previous owner didn't ride it for a year so it needed a little work. Anyway, i was riding it the other day and after a short hillclimb, a clanking noises began coming from the topend. I was wondering if it could be the valves, i had the bike running for the last couple of days even with the wierd noise, and it doesn't seem to affect performance...yet. Also at high revs the bike starts to gurgle, i guess I'm running rich, but i cant seem to find a carburetor adjustment screw. (gotta love the oldschool), when i first got the bike, i took the carb off and cleaned it out real good, and the bike starts first kick. Well anyway i was wondering if anyone knew about the noise or had any rejetting tips for me. Thanks, Matt ;)

Crazymlh

Jan 15, 2005
I think you are on the right track with thinking it's the valves. I would check the valve clearances. The richness may be due the exhaust valve being out of spec and the mixture is not fully combusting., this could also make an interesting muffler note at various rpm's. Could even be the timing is out a bit also check the cam chain tension.
My XR200 does make a bit of top end noise but has done so for a while with no effect. I find the cam chain tension needs looking at more regularly.

jrg

Nov 25, 2001
i bet your hearing the cam chain, them bikes are notorious for rattling cam chains, if i remember right, you start the bike, then pull the bolt out of the end of cam chain tensioner, it will adjust then just put bolt back in, but you would be better off getting a manual, i havent messed with one in years :)

Top Bottom