DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I am looking at picking up my new gear for next year soon in one season I got my (brand new last christmas) HJC Fuel wrote off.
I race so I really want a good helmet as I have had some good crashes this past season (three that left me unconcious)

The helmets I have narrowed my search down to are the Troy Lee Designs SE helmet, the Thor SVR and the M2R.
Originally I was leaning towards the M2R helmet just because of the wieght but I can get the 2005 Thor or Troy Lee helmet at 50% off and I am concerned about more than just light wieght I want a light helmet but I want it to keep my head intact and well vented, I want a removable washable liner also.

Looking for some suggestions from people who have experience with these helmets good or bad.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I don't know how the "new" M2R helmets fit, but I found the first ones to fit me very uncomfortable. The helmet was very "round" and didn't come down and cover my chin much, plus had some funky pressure points. I also found it to feel heavier on my head than other lids. It was their cheaper line that I tried on.

I've had three Thor SVR's and I love em. They fit so comfortable, I can (and have) fell asleep with it on my head. Thor has a fully removable and washable liner and pads too.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
After looking at all of those helmets, and several others in the $300 range, I bought an Oneal 905. It was the most comfortable fit for my melon. The 905 is Dot and Snell approved, has a removable liner, and is well ventilated. The paint job is slick, and its graphics coordinate with all three sets of my pants and jerseys. The fin is a nice feature too, and it doubles as a goggle holder and vent outlet. The liner is very durable, easy to remove/install, and has stood up to several washings. I've had more expensive helmets in the past, but none have been a better value.

Blue Thumper

Nov 7, 2004
Dropping a Bomb!!

bclapham,

Hey bro, You can't just drop a bomb like that and leave us hanging. I'm not one for product bashing, but this is serious, posibly dire. Please, tell us which one doesn't meet the standard it says it does. The last thing I want to do is pay good money for pseudo safety. This is not something I treat lightly!!

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
Just for a bit more FYI, I ride in a Thor SVR as does a good friend of mine. I have yet to test mine out but last weekend, Derick did. He is a 125/250 A rider consistent top 3 in the NC outlaw series, guy can ride. Well, he has a stupid mistake like we all make sometimes and on the last lap at the Craven county fair, he went nose down hard over a 70ft'r. 2 gears of panic throttle later, he landed 90 degrees down and was ejected. the bike flipped in the air and landed perfectly on him breaking his Fib in two places and cracking the side of his mouth protector and the side of his Thor helmet. The Thor did it's job and as hard as the bike hit his head, no concussion, no head injuries at all other than a busted lip from his teeth. The helmet may have cracked on impact but that was to this day the worst impact I have seen and he walked (limped) away to get in the ambulance and go to the hospital. I will keep right on trusting my thor/HJC or whoever makes them.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I heard KBC made helmets for thor and many other companies do they make the SVR?

The thing about one helmet not meeting its rating makes me think that maybe the cost of the super lightness of the M2R is less safety.

Anyone have anything postivie or negative to say about the Troy Lee SE helmet?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have both the SVR and M2R.
The M2R fits me very well, as I have a round head :) ...however that helmet tends to run a slight bit bigger than others of same size.

The SVR is a fabulous fit. I think the good fit makes it more comfortable to wear for long periods than some helmets.

I pick the M2R out of the two, mainly because of the light weight. If you are concerned about the reliability of the M2R (I'm not but have not had the pleasure of a hard test ...yet) go with the high dollar M2R. It is constructed with better materials. Don't know if the upgrade in materials matches the upgrade in cost, but they are supposed to be the bomb, and even lighter. If I were going to shell out the big bucks, I would probably be looking at brands not mentioned here.

For the bling effect....Troy Lee is the man, running a close second is the M2R. The Thor line looks fine, but they are not as stylish.

Mullet

Jan 4, 2004
I have an M2R and love it. It is very light and fits me very well. My brother has an SVR and loves it. They are both Snell and Dot approved, have removable liners, and are well ventilated so in my eyes in came down to what I thought looked better and found at a better price.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom