Help a 2-stroker break-in/prep his new CRF450

sigar

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Hi guys,
I looked through past posts and didn't find what I'm looking for even though I'm sure it must have been posted in the past, so if I'm blind and missed the obvious please forgive me. Anyway, I'm a 2-stroke guy and I decided to give a 4-stroker a try and I've got some questions. The bike (CRF 450) is still in the crate. What prep work is necessary? Normally on a two stroke I grease the steering head bearings, linkage bearings and the wheels; I seal the airbox and just give it a once over. Anything else for the 450? Next question: What is the proper break in procedure? Normally on a 2-stroke I put the bike through a couple no load heat cycles, then a couple light rides progressing from only up to half throttle to using full throttle, with a complete cool down between each. Last question: What oils do I use for the engine and tranny for break-in and what oils after break-in? Normally on a 2-stroke (seems to be a recurring theme) I use Castrol GTX 20W-50 and change at least every other ride, for break-in and use thereafter. I'm a fan of the "use the cheaper stuff, but replace it often" theory. What do you think? Thanks for the help. Oh one more question: Mix the gas at 32:1 right? Just kidding. :confused:

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
This site hasn't been getting near the discussion on the 450 as Thumper Talk. Unfortunately Thumper is moving right now so they are temporarily down. Basically do all the normal greasing and bolt checking. In addition, the 02 CR's are requiring some attention to the airbox. Seal the airboot junction with a good sealer.

Also, go ahead and pop the valve cover off and check the clearance on the decompression lever. Most have came too loose for spec and once set correctly the bike will start a easier. Run your idle higher than seems normal and you won't fight stalls or starting. Oil changes, I've been doing everyother ride (about 4 hours of real hard riding) and the filter every other oil change. I am running the stainless filter from Scott's (search this site for some discussion on that and decide for yourself.)

Set up wise I've done tall, straight KTM bars, GPR Damper, IMS pegs 1/2" back, set the sag to 98mm, raise the forks 5mm, and soften everything a few clicks for offroad work. I am running quite a bit of shock rebound (around 7 clicks out.) and I'm 205lbs.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Basically follow the manual, 15 miles of easy riding...no lugging, no hard riding....then change the oil. I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 but.....in this bike I'm running what the factory recommends, HP4 with Moly and Honda Trans oil. This isn't "expensive" oil. It's within a buck of Mobil 1 and I feel better with it in there. Since Honda recommends a motor oil with Moly in it I'm going to stick with it.

A word to the wise. Follow the oil change procedure in the manual TO THE LETTER. The tranny side calls for you to add 590ml then RUN THE MOTOR for 3 minutes...stop the motor for 3 minutes....THEN pull the oil check bolt to check the level. You'll read all kinds of posts from people about the check bolt being wrong or the "tranny makes noise"...etc. These are people who didn't follow the manual. This is a wet sump race motor and needs to be looked after correctly.

Also keep a close eye on chain tension, check it per the manual. If you let it get loose ( easy to do, the stock chain stretches like taffy!) you'll get a bunch of noise and it'll eat the chain buffer in a couple of hours! Get a good chain as soon as you can. I put an AFAM 51 tooth on the back with a DID ERT chain. Lots more data on Thumpertalk..... Good luck with the new ride! :D

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
BTW, the chain is gonna seem way to tight if you are new to the Honda, which uses a different geometry than most suspensions. However, an inch and a quarter or so is working fine for me.

MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
One more thing on changing oil...

When you think it's all done draining, kick it over a few times with your finger on the kill button and some more oil will drain out.

P.S. If any CRF owners have wrecked their exhaust, I put mine on ebay...

Top Bottom