Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
I have a 05 220. I am a big guy tipping the scales at 260+ lbs. I really love this bike but recently ran into an issue with the clutch. I tried climbing a rather sandy type dirt hill. It took three tries but after finishing the climb the third time the clutch got so hot it was making a terrible noise of something scraping inside. I shut it down and when the bike completely cooled down every thing worked fine as if nothing had happened. I replaced the clutch and springs a few weeks later even though they appeared to working correctly. I wanted to see what happened.

After replacing the clutch I was really happy riding in the woods with the bike. Then I ran into the clutch slipping after it got hot or it wouldn't slip it just would keep going even if I pulled the lever in. Two exactly opposite problems.

These problems develop when climbing slow steep technical hills which require slipping the clutch. I am not talking about slipping the clutch a lot. Just a little bit and it is heated up and iether slipping or refusing to disengage. This is a new clutch with maybe 300 miles on it.

All the lighter guys I know who have owned KDXs don't seem to be able to understand it cause they said they abused the clutches all the time with no problem. I am not a clutch slipper I prefer to use the throttle when ever possible rather than slip the clutch.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
what kind of oil you running in the clutch case?

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
sick 96 250 said:
what kind of oil you running in the clutch case?

I use a light gear oil it would depend on what Your bike requires. But 2 thick & it will stick the plates as oil temparature changes so does the oil efectiveness it thins out. Its also worth it to inspect the clutch hub & basket for ware. If its worn it will have a grove in both surfaces & could cause slipage

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
Adamant, I could not find any threads by you that deal with clutch problems like what I am describing.

Keep in mind this is an 05 bike and the clutch basket should be fine.

I run the Honda 2 stroke gear lube.

What should I be running?

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
Also did You buy a complet kit or the surfaced plates only? My bike when I got It had the compleet wrong cluth kit in it the steel plates were the wrong thicknes

Hope these help mate

Gear selection problems can also be caused by incorecty installing the hub bolts to the wrong tension. On some models of bikes, once the hub bolts are down tight they should be backed off a quarter a turn or so.

softer spring set up in the clutch, Some riders do this to make the clutch leaver less hard to pull in. Although it could make the clutch more prone to slip

Possable causes are miss adjusted lever or arm worn clutch & hubbs pressure plates & springs or a wrong gear oil would make the plates stick

Last edited:

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
adamant said:
Also did You buy a complet kit or the surfaced plates only? My bike when I got It had the compleet wrong cluth kit in it the steel plates were the wrong thicknes

Hope these help mate

Gear selection problems can also be caused by incorecty installing the hub bolts to the wrong tension. On some models of bikes, once the hub bolts are down tight they should be backed off a quarter a turn or so.

softer spring set up in the clutch, Some riders do this to make the clutch leaver less hard to pull in. Although it could make the clutch more prone to slip

Possable causes are miss adjusted lever or arm worn clutch & hubbs pressure plates & springs or a wrong gear oil would make the plates stick

I put the clutch in according to the manuals torque specs.
I put in heavy duty EBC clutch springs and a complete clutch set. I used the Rocky Mountain house brand set.

I think I will check the brand and weight oil recommended by Kawasaki in the owners mauual just in case the oil is the problem. It would seem like the Honda 2 stroke trany clutch oil should be fine and is not cheap. But just in case I'll switch it out.

Top Bottom