theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
jason33 said:
that poof is it tryin to start ,keep tryin!
clutches - hold the clutch lever in for a while after starting it,
if it has been settin! for a long time, the pilot jet in the carb (little jet deep in the case under the bowl) is clogged , its the starter,and idle jet
Thanks... It's been sitting since I was fixing it but I started it that week several times just fine. I'm going to take out the carb and check the reeds this week and give it a go at bumpin'. All the snow will be gone by Tues so I'll have some room to get a good run down the drive.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
are you using the choke right?
my cr500 goes poof b4 it starts, i need a couple more kicks with the choke,new reeds will help definately if there wore out

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
jason33 said:
are you using the choke right?
my cr500 goes poof b4 it starts, i need a couple more kicks with the choke,new reeds will help definately if there wore out

Ya, I typically don't need to have it on to start it but when it didn't start I pop'd it up. I put in new Power reeds when I did the top end.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Tried to bump it down the slight incline we have here and nothing, just put put put, no poof though... I tried with the choke on and off and with the throttle full and not. Just removed the carb, going to take it apart and going to look at the reeds, buying a leak-test this weekend.

MOgle80

Dec 4, 2005
One other thing that would be a simple broken or sheared key to the flywheel making the timing way off. Do you have a flywheel puller? You can easily rule out a ignition timing problem by checking that key on the crankshaft. If you try the kickstarter without the plug you can check for spark. Have you done that? Lay the plug and plug wire along something metal on the engine to make a ground connection and whirl it over like hell. You either have good spark at the right time ,or no spark or spark but wrong time hahaha

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Ya checked for a spark by putting the plug into the cap and putting it against the engine, are you saying to take the plug out and put both the plug and cap on a metal piece and kick it over?

No flywheel puller, but I'm going to try and disassemble that anyhow to get to the stator at some point, maybe sooner than later if I can't get it going.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Got some news, took out the reeds to see if they where still ok and found little metal fakes in the engine, on the reeds and if wiped my finger in there found more, not a whole lot out enough to make me worry. Guessing this is not normal? The cylinder fried?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
pull the top end apart again and inspect it. Possible you had a ring caught from the very beginning and just firing it up 4 times caused some damaged to the walls of the cylinder....

Just pull it apart and start over going slow. DId you coat the walls of the cylinder with oil when you put it back together by chance? Maybe a cold seizure happened but broke free after a few seconds.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Ya coated it with oil and grease, what the manual said to do. Sucks... or if the cylinder if f'ed bore and sleeve or find a new one?

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
n641627882_1475169_5799.jpg

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
theckeler said:

Thanks deff an ouch. sense you already have the piston i would sleeve it or get a new one not bore bigger. but any of those ways are good just depending on what you personaly want out of it. a bore can give you more power but then you need to rejet and things like that and a new cylinder is well... new. a sleeve will work just fine also.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
aaronnaland said:
Thanks deff an ouch. sense you already have the piston i would sleeve it or get a new one not bore bigger. but any of those ways are good just depending on what you personaly want out of it. a bore can give you more power but then you need to rejet and things like that and a new cylinder is well... new. a sleeve will work just fine also.

A new cylinder is out of the question for $450, cost me about as much as paid for the bike. From what I hear it's not good to sleeve it but to replate it, think cost is about the same but the replate last longer and has better results.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
That piston is junk. Send it to Forward Motion or Fredette and have them fix it or oversize it. Sleeves pffft!, unbelievable!

Not sure if the piston is bad yet, still need to remove it. It's a Wesco, thought they where good?

MOgle80

Dec 4, 2005
there is probably damage on the piston at or near the ring groove at least. Millinium Technologies can repair the cylinder the same way and match the piston also . It is best if the piston shows some chunks that you get a new one .

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
MOgle80 said:
there is probably damage on the piston at or near the ring groove at least. Millinium Technologies can repair the cylinder the same way and match the piston also . It is best if the piston shows some chunks that you get a new one .
Sucks, got a deal on the piston too, $50 shipped w/ clips, rings, etc... damn things cost $120 new. Gonna be an expensive repair, might just scrap the bike for the season or for good. Bike only cost me $550, putting $400+ into getting that fixed just doesn't seem right. Might just look for another bike sometime in the future if cost is way too much.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Not yet, guessing it's the ring... ya the metal prob reached the bottom and got into there. My dad thinks we can remove the engine, put it upside down and flush it all out. Not sure if I want to bother if the same is going to happen again. This will teach me to f' with an engine that is running fine, should have let it be and just ran it into the ground. I put a ton of stuff on it so would be asking $650 for it, new power reeds, moose air filter, kickstarter, light on front, wiring, f/r wheel bearings, rear brake line, etc... not to mention that the bike is titled and registered as a motorcycle (street legal, have no legal stuff tho). Maybe I'll try to find another 95 on bike and use this a parts (or swap that to this since titled) or another engine. Gonna check out pricing though to get this fixed then decide.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Any time you pick up a bike for under a grand you should expect to spend some money to get it right. If you can go off and spend 2-3k on a good solid low hour bike, by all means do it. The bikes that cost you $450, well, be prepared to sink some money into those. Any time I'm fixing up an older bike that needs attention, getting out spending 1500-2000 by the time it's done is totally acceptable to me. That's what it would cost at a minimum to get a solid bike that needs nothing anyway. I personally do it that way since I will know what goes into the bike, have a good working knowledge of it, and don't have to spend all the money up front. Normally you can get one running enough to ride a bit, and then spend a bit here and there as you go.

Again, if you decide to ditch it let me know. I've been looking for a 95+ to tinker with... lol.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Just got the cylinder off, well really bad news, the circlip on the right side came off. I'll post some picts of the piston, which is completely destroyed, later if you guys want. I couldn't find the clip which means it's probably in the bottom, and all the metal that came off the piston and wall. Think this means I'm done with the bike.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
julien_d said:
Again, if you decide to ditch it let me know. I've been looking for a 95+ to tinker with... lol.

Depends on how much you want to buy it for, rather it sit in my garage waiting on an engine that may never come than get $200 for it. The min amount I'd want would be $650 and doubt anyone would buy it for that with a busted cylinder and no piston.

Top Bottom